12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2016 5:53 AM by Roei Tzoref

When is Adobe going to fix permissions problem with the preferences folder?

JayelDraco Level 1

As with MANY OTHER people, I've been getting  ridiculous hang on launching my adobe software. It takes 1 metric eternity to complete "initializing MediaCore". When AE finally opens the warning appears "QuickTime is not installed on this system".

The answer I've seen again and again is:

permissions problem with preferences folder or corrupt preferences

Yet another cause of After Effects and QuickTime failing to communicate is a problem with permissions for files in the After Effects preferences directory. To force After Effects to rebuild the preferences directory and set the permissions correctly (as well as reset any corrupt preferences), quit After Effects, remove the following folder, and then restart After Effects:

• (Mac OS) [drive]/Users/[user_name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects
      • (Windows) [drive]Users[user_name]AppData/Roaming/Adobe/After Effects

The issue might also be with permissions for a folder outside the After Effects permissions folder. This seems to especially be the case on Mac OS. To ensure that all Adobe applications can write to their preferences files, set the entire Adobe preferences folder and its contents to be read/write, not just read-only:

• (Mac OS) [drive]/Users/[user_name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/
      • (Windows) [drive]\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming/Adobe\

but that wont work because I can't change the settings of those folders, and from what I'm reading there is no shortage of others who cant.

No matter what I do windows will not allow me to change any folder within my Users folders to have read/write permissions.

However, it seems that my adobe programs wont load correctly unless I change the permission to read/write. I think we're all paying a bit too much for this software to be expected to figure out how to hack our own computers to get the programs to work.

There needs to be some kind of fix, soon. Perhaps having the option to move the adobe preferences folder to a different directory? IDK...

I know I'm not alone here... a little help maybe? anyone?