5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2017 8:00 AM by dj_paige

catalog does not show photos in containing folder of folders

judy04

I have a folder called "Photos" and many sub folders or images contained in it.   Each of the subfolders shows the correct number of images in it (correct as these are there on disk as shown in the Explorer window).  BUT the containing folder "Photos" shows only 50 or so of the thousands that it should show.   This means that you can't select "Photos" in the library and then search for a keyword.   I am *totally* perplexed.

Running Windows 7 and Lightroom 5.7.    (Parenthetically I have a CC subscription, but have been told that if at some point I stop my subscription, the new catalog can't be read by an older version of LR.   So all my classifications and edits using Lightroom CC would be lost.)

• 1. Re: catalog does not show photos in containing folder of folders
          Bob Somrak Level 5

Click the Plus sign next to Folders and choose Show Photos in Subfolders.

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 9.25.02 AM.png

• 2. Re: catalog does not show photos in containing folder of folders
            dj_paige Level 9

judy04 wrote:

(Parenthetically I have a CC subscription, but have been told that if at some point I stop my subscription, the new catalog can't be read by an older version of LR.   So all my classifications and edits using Lightroom CC would be lost.)

If you stop your LR CC subscription, all of the information in the catalog can still be read and used by LR CC, so you can search for photos using metadata and export your edited photos. The only thing that stops working is the Develop Module and Map Module.

• 3. Re: catalog does not show photos in containing folder of folders
              judy04 Level 1

I had thought Lightroom itself disappeared (like photoshop if you stop).  No?   Very interesting.

• 4. Re: catalog does not show photos in containing folder of folders
                xodin49

I am having the same problem.  My sub-folders are not reflecting all of the images in the main folder.  Yes I have checked the "Show photos in sub-folders.  My vacation folder shows 19495 images and if I click on this I can see all the images but a lot of the images, RAW Files, are not showing up in the sub-folders.  For example in the 2013 Canada folder there are only 27 images showing up in the sub-folder Oct012013, however there are 248 images actually in this file.  The only images showing up in that particular file are those that I have processed and saved as tiff files.  I have tried to sync but they still will not show up.  If I try to import I get a screen that shows all the images but it won't let me add and I get a message that the files are already out there. What have I done or how do I get all the files to show up in the various sub-files.

2017-01-08_9-37-34.jpg

• 5. Re: catalog does not show photos in containing folder of folders
                  dj_paige Level 9

For example in the 2013 Canada folder there are only 27 images showing up in the sub-folder Oct012013, however there are 248 images actually in this file folder.

Lightroom is NOT a file browser. It does not necessarily show you the photos in a given folder. It only shows you the photos that have been imported into that folder.

I have tried to sync but they still will not show up.  If I try to import I get a screen that shows all the images but it won't let me add and I get a message that the files are already out there.

What has happened is that you have accidentally imported the photos into Lightroom using the COPY option instead of the ADD option. This makes a copy of your original photo in some other folder, and then you can only find this photo in Lightroom in that other folder.

So, you have to find the photos in Lightroom. Please follow ALL of these steps in sequence, all done inside of Lightroom.

1. Click on All Photographs on the left hand side of the Library Module
                  2. Expand all Stacks (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
                  3. Turn off Filter (ctrl-L once or twice)
                  4. search for one of these photos by file name
                  5. right click on the photo and select Go to File in Finder or Go to Fine in Explorer.

Now you know where the photo is located and you can find it in Lightroom.