6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2016 7:50 AM by Rick Gerard

Editing text colour isn't working?

lizb71238578

Hello!

I'm proficient with Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign however I'm attempting a project on After Effects. I have started with a basic typography template, I've so far managed to change the background colour and edit all of the text, including the font and size.

One problem I'm having is that I want all of the text to be white, however some parts are black. When I click that text layer it shows as WHITE, but then when I preview on the Main Scene the text is still black? (See images below)

example1.png

example2.png

I may be doing something wrong which is completely obvious, however I'm not familiar with After Effects, I've tried searching for articles on this problem but can't seem to find any.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• 1. Re: Editing text colour isn't working?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The template probably uses a fill effect somewhere to color the text. It's also probably got a control layer somewhere that says what color the text should be.

• 2. Re: Editing text colour isn't working?
            lizb71238578 Level 1

Is that editable? If so, where can I find it to edit it? Thanks

• 3. Re: Editing text colour isn't working?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Everything is editable in AE. The problem is, I don't know the structure of that template. People can build them all kinds of ways. Sometimes too complicated sometimes not enough. A good template will have a control layer somewhere (it should be labeled) that gives you control over colors so you don't have to mess with stuff.

• 4. Re: Editing text colour isn't working?
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

That's hard to tell -- it's a template, so it could be anywhere.  Templates are complicated.  I'd start by finding the nested comp with the black text, highlighting it and hitting the u key twice to look at the modified properties.

• 5. Re: Editing text colour isn't working?
                  BartonGarrett256 Level 2

You may find it easier to get started using something like Mr. Horse, it is fairly user friendly-  I'm assuming you bought a template.  My experience is the quality of the stand alone templates  is at best very hit or miss, and most of them come from places where they don't speak English, nor do the majority of the producers put anything close to decent instructions together.  And the aggregators do not just zero, but absolute zero filtering, it's a very immature industry, to say the least.  I try to restrict template purchases to providers from regions I trust.

After the requisite learning curve struggle you will pick up the skills required to make those adjustments.

• 6. Re: Editing text colour isn't working?
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, the comp's background color will not render. If you want the green background you have to add a green solid to the comp. I see no green solid in your project panel so when it is rendered the resulting video will have a black background.

Second, you haven't shown us the modified properties of the layers that are giving you problems. I'm not sure why every layer in the nested comp is a pre-comp. There is nothing in your screenshots that tells me why you have nested the comps. You could be dealing with a blend mode or an overlay or a track matte. The structure of your comp is not revealed by the screenshots you provided.

Here's what I would do. Select the text layer in the "31_Service" comp and press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties. If you don't see color in the text layer then no text animators have been added to change the color. The default color for a text animator is red. If that text layer has no modified properties then the problem lies in the main comp.

Next, select the "31_Service" layer in the "Scene 1" comp and press the U key twice to reveal all modified layers. I don't see that layer in your screenshot so it's impossible tell what's going on with the layer. Look for effects and blend modes. You have the transform properties of layer #26 partially revealed in your screenshot and I don't know what that has to do with the text layer you are having problems with. You also have the Switches panel visible we can't see the blend modes.

Another thing that is confusing about your screenshots and the structure of your comp is that the CTI in the Scene 1 comp is at about 29 seconds and the CTI in the 31_Service comp is at 14 frames. If that layer is offset in the Scene 1 comp this may be accurate.

It looks like your main comp is about 36 seconds long and the it has nearly 40 nested comps. If all the nested comps are like "31_Service" and only contain a text layer that does not seem to be animated then you have way over complicated your project. When I do these dynamic text animations I usually break up the audio into sentences or paragraphs and the comps are on average somewhere between 10 and 15 seconds. Each sentence is then rendered and the footage is edited in Premiere Pro or, if the project is only a minute or two long, the comps for each sentence are combined into a new final comp. Unless there is some kind of rendering order problem that requires a pre-comp I keep all my layers in the main comp. This makes troubles much easier to diagnose.