4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 3:25 PM by Bill Gehrke

Hardware requirements to produce rotated, zoomed, compressed AVI?

BrianAnalyst

When I went through the training tutorial I produced a nice 2 minute eagle video documentary with no issues other than taking 6-12 minutes to render the video.  I seem to be able to do most typical tasks without issues on my 16 Gb, Intel i7-4600U Toshiba Portege laptop… until I try to process and save (render) a rotated and zoomed video.  Then it chokes.  I have concluded that the lack of a video card (just a 16Mb onboard chip), and the inability of the system to assign more than a fixed 1632 Mb of the 16Gb RAM to video processing “shared memory”, makes the task impossible on this machine.

Q1:  What do I need for hardware if I am going to do that task repeatedly on videos of 15 minutes to 2 hours in length?

Q2:  How important is it that the exact video card is listed in Adobe's list?  For example. the best that a new Dell Precision 7510 can be equipped with is an Nvidia Quadro M2000M w/4GB GDDR5, but it's not on the certified Adobe list.

Q3:  With well-equipped hardware, what range of time would you expect to render a 2 hour B&W video that is rotated and zoomed, set at1080 x 882, maybe with autolevels or highlight tweaks, with a few section title slides and no sound track?

Q4: The source video is .avi, but would I get better results rendering into a different common-use final format?

Here’s more background:  

Most video formats I can select will produce instant errors and abort (with a message something like unable to match source framerate), although by using Quicktime with a GoPro output it does produce a video. However, despite doing everything I could think of – turning off all but one monitor, closing all programs, render-and-replace – the produced rendering gets roughly tripled in speed, is jerky, and gets completely repeated more than twice in order to fill in the original video time-length in the sequence. In addition, the rendering time is roughly three times the video’s length. Based on comments in the training program, which allege that the rendering time will be quite a bit shorter than the length of the played video, and the observation that my rendering of the training video was longer than the video’s play-time (maybe 6 to 10 minutes for the two-minute Bald Eagle documentary?), this confirms to me that the lack of a real graphics card is a laptop hardware limitation with no good workaround.

• 1. Re: Hardware requirements to produce rotated, zoomed, compressed AVI?
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Best place to ask this is the Hardware forum ... Hardware Forum

There's a list of the recommended/required hardware capabilities to run PrPro ... recent OS, 8GB RAM although running without 16 is ... slow. A dedicated graphics card with more than 1GB vRAM, and nVidia still works better through the CUDA than the AMD cards do with OpenCL, though the difference is getting less. In CUDA, more than a thousand CUDA cores, please.

As to "the list", that only applies if your'e running CS6, it was dropped after they went into the CC model.

As to Quadro ... UNLESS you are doing certain typically higher-end processes within PrPro/AfterEffects, those cards give no help and can be slower to use than a card a quarter the cost but with good vRAM and cores data.

A large part of the rendering process involves readin' & writin' ... if you've got everything on one disc along with your OS, won't matter how hot your bits are as your bytes will take too long getting to and off disc. Multiple discs involved is more better. OR ... the very high-speed access m.2 or some of the Samsung T1 drives. Bill Gehrke is the brains to pick for all of this stuff.

Neil

• 2. Re: Hardware requirements to produce rotated, zoomed, compressed AVI?
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The approved list no longer impacts whether the GPU acceleration functions or not with CC. It's simply the list of tested cards. A 970M or 980M Nvidia GPU would give you the best performance in the Mobile world for Adobe's GPU acceleration at this point for the money. The equivalent Quadro mobile cards would be the Quadro M4000M for example for the 970M. Codecs significantly effect the performance of GPU acceleration and the hardware you need to run it. Go Pro's codecs are  very complex and take significant processing. Converting it to something like DNxHD or DNxHR can allow that media to run far better on hardware that cant handle the Go Pro media natively. Ideally you want a Quad Core i7 Mobile CPU with HT and 32GB of ram. A Quad core without HT will only give you 4 threads so complex media like Go Pro's will really struggle on the laptop. Any Nvidia GPU with greater than 1GB of vram will work. However the 970M is the sweet spot for most 1080 workflows.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Hardware requirements to produce rotated, zoomed, compressed AVI?
              BerniceR Level 1

My image was cropped too with it leaving a square video. If you click the "transform" button and select rotate 90 degrees it will easily rotate the whole image. Everything else is the same. Thanks for the tutorial.

• 4. Re: Hardware requirements to produce rotated, zoomed, compressed AVI?
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

If you really want a hot laptop check with the master NLE builder Eric Bowen at ADK and definitely avoid the Dell's and HP's.  If you want to try to do it yourself then look at the high-end Gaming laptops from ASUS and MSI.  I am using the Samsung T1 or now  it would the be the newer T3  USB 3 flash drives and getting great performance as the second drive on my older ASUS G750JW as you can see below with the 256 GB T1 pushing the limits of USB 3.0