3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 2:31 AM by wobertc

Delete/Keep Lightroom 5 catalog after installing Lightroom CC

ZdC Level 1

After installing Lightroom CC, what LR 5 files am I able to delete?Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 08.28.41.png

Also, when I delete photos from disk where do they go?

• 1. Re: LIGHTROOM CC
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have two catalogs, and both of them have been used in the last couple of days. So you are going to have to decide what you want to do with them. The Smart previews catalog hasn't been used since November. You can decide what to do with it. You have a couple of Word documents that were not created by Lightroom. You'll have to decide what to do with those. The lock file should be there unless Lightroom is still open and has been since about 11:30 last night. If Lightroom is closed now, you can delete the lock file. It's the bottom file on the list.

When you delete photos in Lightroom they go to the recycle bin or the trash, depending on which operating system you are using.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: LIGHTROOM CC
            ZdC Level 1

Jim

It is seriously worrying that I now have 2 catalogs.  I was hoping only to run one.  I simply have no idea how I have created a second catalog and what is in each one.   I was trying so hard to keep every organised and now I feel hopelessly confused and worried about where things are and what can be deleted.

I thought smart previews were still be created so that’s another cause for concern.

• 3. Re: LIGHTROOM CC
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

LIGHTROOM FILES.jpg

Two catalogs- {Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat} (in Green),  and {Lightroom Catalog.lrcat} (in Red).

You can open each of these (by a double-click) and check their contents.

If you upgraded to CC from v5 and opened {Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat} then I would expect the new updated catalog to be called {Lightroom 5 Catalog-2.lrcat}.  Did you open the 'old' catalog with LR-CC?

The one called {Lightroom Catalog.lrcat} I suspect might be a new (empty?) catalog you created with Lr-CC.

As Jim says- you will have to decide which is the one you want to keep. (They can be merged!)

1 person found this helpful