2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2016 9:47 PM by Hollynicole

Displaying PPI in Lightroom CC

Hollynicole

Hi Adobe community!

I'm hoping that someone can help me out here. I have recently made the switch from using a work flow with Bridge -> Photoshop to working with images in Lightroom and still sometimes in photoshop. I've noticed something that Adobe Bridge has that I really like that I cannot seem to find in Lightroom and mind you it is a small thing. Does anyone know if there is a way to display the current PPI of an image? I know that I have the dimensions displayed, but I was wondering if there is a way that Lightroom can display the PPI like how bridge can. I have included a screen shot to show what I am talking about/what I am looking for.

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 8.58.50 PM.png

• 1. Re: Displaying PPI in Lightroom CC
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In reality, there is no such thing as the PPI of an image. Lightroom displays image size in pixels. The PPI setting really has no effect on the size of the image. If you want to do the math, you can figure out how big the image would be at a certain PPI setting. But the setting isn't going to affect the pixel size of the image. An example:

Image size 4000 x 6000 pixels

You want to print at 300 PPI, therefore

6000 pixels/300 PPI = 20 inches

4000 pixels/300 PPI = 13.33 inches

So you can print an image that is roughly 13 x 20", and it will be printed at 300 PPI regardless of what the PPI setting is in the file. The only real value the PPI setting has in Photoshop is to enable the program to calculate how large the image will be at any given setting. Images straight from the camera are measured in the number of pixels, and that's all.

• 2. Re: Displaying PPI in Lightroom CC
            Hollynicole Level 1

Thank you very much for that information Jim! I really appreciate it and it helps me out a lot, thanks for taking the time to respond, take care!