11 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2016 8:02 AM by Abambo

Lightroom error message "not enough memory" while editing images.

jsoill88

I have been using Lightroom, happily, for the last couple of years, but now am unable to export edited/finished photos back into Windows 7 Home Premium, an error  message keeps appearing saying 'not enough memory'

I'm a bit of a technophobe and am happy doing what I do, but when things go wrong, I'm in trouble!!

Will try to attach a performance information sheet about my computer and its memory and Ram and stuff.....operating system.jpg

• 1. Re: ERROR MESSAGE DURING EXPORT?
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thread moved here from Adobe Captivate forum.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ERROR MESSAGE DURING EXPORT?
            dj_paige Level 9

When the error message says "not enough memory", it means exactly what it says, your computer does not have enough memory to perform the task.

To fix the problem, you can try any one or more of these:

1. Make sure no other programs are running when you export
            2. Export in small batches (perhaps even one photo at a time)
            3. Upgrade your computer to have at least 8GB or memory AND a 64 bit operating system (8GB with a 32 bit operating system most likely will not solve the problem)
            • 3. Re: Lightroom error message "not enough memory" while editing images.
              Satchmo46Bill

DJ_Paige,

As you can see from the below, I have 32GB with LR x64, Windows 10 x64, and am getting "out of memory", so your repeated answer appears to be inadequate.

My resource manager says I have 13 GB free.

Any ideas?

Bill Bane

Lightroom version: CC 2015.5.1 [ 1073342 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 10

Version: 10.0

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3.5 GHz

Built-in memory: 32706.1 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32706.1 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 3465.4 MB (10.5%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroo

• 4. Re: Lightroom error message "not enough memory" while editing images.
                dj_paige Level 9

Satchmo46Bill wrote:

DJ_Paige,

As you can see from the below, I have 32GB with LR x64, Windows 10 x64, and am getting "out of memory", so your repeated answer appears to be inadequate.

My resource manager says I have 13 GB free.

Any ideas?

Bill Bane

Lightroom version: CC 2015.5.1 [ 1073342 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 10

Version: 10.0

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3.5 GHz

Built-in memory: 32706.1 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32706.1 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 3465.4 MB (10.5%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroo

I do not understand what "repeated" answer you are referring to.

Since you are not the original poster, please explain exactly what is happening. Please state what steps lead up to this problem happening on your computer. Please give the exact complete unedited error message.

• 5. Re: Lightroom error message "not enough memory" while editing images.
                  Abambo Level 4

It's by far not the latest machine and equipment, but the "out of memory" message needs to have other causes.

These are the minimal requirements for the latest version of Lightroom:

Windows

• Intel® or AMD processor with 64-bit support*
                  • Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
                  • 2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
                  • 1024 x 768 display
                  • 1 GB of Video RAM (VRAM). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors.
                  • 2 GB of available hard-disk space
                  • DVD-ROM drive required if purchasing Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® retail boxed version
                  • OpenGL 3.3 and DirectX 10-capable video adapter for GPU-related functionality
                  • Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.†

I suspect that Lightroom is not current and that version would be also an interesting answer. Up to Lightroom 5 there was no 64bits OS required

• 6. Re: Lightroom error message "not enough memory" while editing images.
                    Abambo Level 4

How much disk space is available/free? What is the LR version?

• 7. Re: Lightroom error message "not enough memory" while editing images.
                      dj_paige Level 9

Feierwoon wrote:

I suspect that Lightroom is not current and that version would be also an interesting answer. Up to Lightroom 5 there was no 64bits OS required

The post from Satchmo46Bill said the LR version is 2015.5.1, which is (as of today) the current version. I don't think it makes any sense to read the original post any more, that's more than a month old, and anyway Satchmo46Bill has jumped in with his problem. So unless the original poster re-appears in this thread, I don't think answering his question helps.

• 9. Re: Lightroom error message "not enough memory" while editing images.
                        Satchmo46Bill Level 1

Feierwoon and dj,

Have ssd for OS, SSD for cache with gobs of free memory on the OS drive and in Ram, have near fastest Intel cpu, have up to date Lightroom CC, have up to date Windows. All x64.

What I am doing, "exactly", is to "export" photos, after which I get an "out of memory" message. Did not happen a few months ago, when I last did an export.

You guys don't have a clue, right?

Bill

• 10. Re: Lightroom error message "not enough memory" while editing images.
                          dj_paige Level 9

You guys don't have a clue, right?

Now that you have given us some information, we (or at least I) certainly do have a clue.

While I haven't seen this error message appear for people with 32GB of RAM, it most certainly is caused by you trying to export too many photos at a time (and perhaps because other applications are open in the baqckground). Since this did not happen a few months ago, it could also be that your photos have more megapixels (not megabytes) than previously.

• Close other applications before exporting
                          • Export in smaller batches

By the way, Satchmo46Bill I specifically said "Please give the exact complete unedited error message" and you still haven't provided that. I don't want you to provide a partial error message or a paraphrased error message, I want the exact complete unedited error message.

• 11. Re: Lightroom error message "not enough memory" while editing images.
                            Abambo Level 4

I have really no idea what's going on. Just guessing. Sometimes this helps! :-)

What about rights? Read/write in the catalogue or destination drive?

Are you running with admin rights or without? As I would not recommend running user programs as admin (I'm old school UNIX), I suppose testing this as admin should be ok.