6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2016 5:48 PM by KoMaruyama

how do i create vector lines. rather than everything being filled shapes when imported into illustrator

nosnhojdivad

[vector lines being a core element of illustrator.]

also, how to select/edit individual items once drawn?

many thanks

• 1. Re: how do i create vector lines. rather than everything being filled shapes when imported into illustrator
          Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi David,

The brush strokes in Draw are based on Illustrator's blob brush and it's currently not possible to get a single stroke path. In case it's helpful, in this post, Ko Maruyama posted about using Photoshop Sketch as a way around it: Re: How do I set up drawing as stroke paths, rather than the default compound paths?

To edit an individual item in Draw, tap on the Layers icon (two squares) in the top nav. Then tap on the "..." icon in whichever layer you have art that you want to rotate/move/resize.

Tap on the transform button (the 4-arrow icon) to put the app in "transform mode," then you can rotate (use two fingers), move, and scale anything in that layer. Tap OK when you're done.

You can also, in that same menu, flip the drawing horizontally or vertically; merge layers, by tapping on the line-double-arrow icon (be careful, once merged layers cannot be un-merged); or copy whatever's on that layer to another layer by tapping the double-square-+ sign icon.

Hope that helps.

Sue.

• 2. Re: how do i create vector lines. rather than everything being filled shapes when imported into illustrator
            nosnhojdivad Level 1

hi sue

thanks for the reply.

re: adobe sketch

i tried sketch, but the '.sket file sent to illustrator [19.2.1] is a raster file. the current write up on the adobe site, tends to back this up... no mention of file editability in illustrator.

Send to Illustrator and Photoshop
            Send sketches to Illustrator to scale your work up to 4x for high-resolution printing. Or send them to Photoshop as layered PSDs with the drawing, the paper background and the images all on separate layers so you can easily isolate your artwork.

i would love to know how ko extracted that vector linework. plus sketch only has one image layer and one 'drawing' layer which means editing any drawing work would be a nightmare.

re: adobe draw

thanks for the information.

so it is one element per layer to provide any flexibility then... i see lots of deleting layers and redrawing to create anything meaningful. also, no chance to recolour... no reshaping of anything. yikes inflexibility headaches . which is a shame.

looks like i need to wait for version 2 for these apps.

many thanks, dave

• 3. Re: how do i create vector lines. rather than everything being filled shapes when imported into illustrator
              Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

David,

Yep. You have that right. Photoshop Sketch is a bitmap drawing tool. And, yes, I hear from people a lot who transform the strokes from Draw into single paths in Illustrator CC, it sounds like a lot of work. About Ko: He posts on here quite frequently; if he sees this post he'll very likely respond.

About those layers in Sketch... they're coming soon.

Sue.

• 4. Re: how do i create vector lines. rather than everything being filled shapes when imported into illustrator
                KoMaruyama Adobe Community Professional

To use the SKETCH files in Adobe Illustrator, use the "Send to Illustrator" button from within Sketch.  It will open as a bitmap at first, but then you can expand it into paths by selecting the layer, then choose EXPAND TO PATHS from (Object / Line and Sketch Art / Expand to Paths)

The two apps aren't interchangeable with their respective sibling apps, but you can use them together in order to achieve a certain stylized look, or to take advantage of a particular single path if you truly need it, but there's no true overlap.

Currently, I'm using the apps for more creative process.  If you're mobile, and want to generate the idea, these apps are perfect.  They can be used for final artwork too, but you should know the current constraints of the export process.

I'm still tied to a desk for most of my design work (or laptop).

I can't wait to see what the new versions have in store for us.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: how do i create vector lines. rather than everything being filled shapes when imported into illustrator
                  nosnhojdivad Level 1

many thanks for this, which will work perfectly for my current needs.

i agree that the new versions are eagerly awaited.

maybe not the place to say, but looking around i am really impressed by concepts [ios phone and tablet] and hope adobe are looking at implementing similar [or even better?] levels of 'pro' attibutes for draw/sketch, to go with the pro pencil and pro ipad from apple.

for instance shaper tool ios > shaper tool osx would be a great leap forward imho.

as an apple user i was also a little envious of the illustrator/windows mobile work demoed at max. not often i get that feeling.