7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 6:37 AM by sif101

PNG export produces image errors

sif101

Hey there,

i’m experiencing a problem while exporting transparent pngs which i am not able to eliminate. Hope anybody can help me out.

Here’s the setting …

• I’m using InDesign (CC 2015) for a couple of reasons to design content for an interactive application.

• Let’s say i’ve got two pages which contain the same images (same positioning, same size) but the text varies on each page.

• After i export these two pages out of my document as transparent pngs, mostly the second page which is exported has like a line offset or missing within the images. The Text within the two images doesn’t have this effect.

• I’ve rounded the position and size of the placed images within the image frames, which didn’t have any effect to get rid of the problem.

• I could replicate the effect with different InDesign documents and different computers.

• An export to PDF and then render out the images in Photoshop ist not an option.

Has anybody of you experienced the same and got rid of it?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: PNG export produces image errors
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

sif101 wrote:

• An export to PDF and then render out the images in Photoshop ist not an option.

Why not?

And some screenshots might help.

• 2. Re: PNG export produces image errors
            sif101 Level 1

Here are some sample screenshots. It’s subtle, but you can see it if you switch between the images.

sample-image_1.png

sample-image_2.png

• 3. Re: PNG export produces image errors
              sif101 Level 1

The pdf to Photoshop solution is not an option because the pages within the InDesign document have got unique page bookmark names. The pngs are exported with a script which uses the bookmarks as the later filename for the png. It’s a workflow which is created to export a lot of content. The script ist not the cause of this error. Could replicate it with the inbuilt export option.

• 4. Re: PNG export produces image errors

I don't see anything wrong (nor do I see any text) and quite frankly, I don't understand why you're using InDesign for this so a brief explanation of that might help me understand that as well.

While ID is capable of exporting to many formats, graphics such as JPG and PNG are best used for proofing purposes and/or quick snapshots, not final output.

If you're convinced there's a problem you can file a bug report: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 5. Re: PNG export produces image errors
                  sif101 Level 1

Thank you Bob for you’re reply!

As i wrote the ”line“ errors in the images are very subtle and i cropped the text of these images because there’s nothing wrong with it.

Yes, i know it’s quite unusual to use InDesign for this. Im using it to create huge amounts of multilanguage content for an interactive touch-screen application. But for a couple of reasons it the tool for the job, which work quite well. I know there are other options to do this. But let’s say it’s an workflow i got into and now i’ve got to deal with it.

• 6. Re: PNG export produces image errors

Well then, not to minimize your issue, but I think you’re going to need to accept this at least for now.

Export to JPG and PNG has never been a very strong feature and the recommended method has always been to use the PDF to Photoshop routine. If you’re using a Mac workflow I’d imagine that this could be done with AppleScript.

Perhaps check in the scripting forum.

• 7. Re: PNG export produces image errors
                      sif101 Level 1

I will look further into that! Maybe i’ll find a workaround.
                      Thanks again.