1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 6:56 PM by RjL190365

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E550 15.6"

merrillcapps

I've been scouring the net for a compatible laptop for Adobe's CC within the $500-$600 range.  I found this one (

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E550 15.6" HD Screen (1366x768), Intel Dual Core i5-5200U 2.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive, Win 7 Pro 64 Bit Laptop Computer)

and it seems to fit most of the system requirements, with the exception of Premiere Pro needing:

• 1280 x 800 display

Will this computer be able to operate Premiere Pro with it's native 1366x768 screen?  Are there any other downsides with this computer for Photoshop, etc.?  Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E550 15.6"
          RjL190365 Level 4

First off, you may have portions of the Premiere Pro interface hidden and unrecoverable. As such, you will need an external display connected via HDMI to run Premiere Pro.

Second, since that laptop lacks any discrete GPU at all whatsoever, expect its OpenCL performance in Premiere Pro MPE's GPU acceleration mode to be about seven to eight times slower than with a high-end discrete AMD Radeon desktop GPU.

Finally, you will need an additional USB 3.0 external drive in order to render efficiently in Premiere. With only a single internal hard drive for absolutely everything, the disk I/O performance in Premiere will be about five to six times slower than if there are separate disks for each task (not separate partitions within a single drive). This is because not only is SATA being only a half-duplex interface (in which a certain block of transfers in one direction must be completed before any transfers can occur in the opposite direction), but also that the system must perform housekeeping and maintenance tasks on that same disk. All that severely slows down editing/rendering performance.