8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2009 12:16 PM by tojo45

List

tojo45 Level 1
      I'm having problems with ordered and bulleted lists. Using RH7 for HTML in Windows XP. I am not an HTML ace but I generally can figure out what needs done to make it look the way I want. This one, I cannot see why in one topic it has one numbered style of list and in the other topic a different style. Same for the unordered list.

In the same project, using "default.css" with no editing to it, some topics have different tags for what I thought was the same type of list. The OL list, "list-style: inside decimal" has the number on the same column as the second line of text begins with. I see there is a difference, but I don't know what is causing the different "list type."

Code from the topics:

GOOD for me:

<ol style="list-style: decimal;" type=1>

BAD for me:

<ol style="list-style: inside decimal;" type=1>

For the bulleted list I don't see an obvious difference.

BAD for me:

UNORDERED LISTS

<ul><li style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; list-style: disc;" type=disc
      class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 4.5pt;">

<ul style="list-style: disc;" type=disc>
      <li class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 4.5pt; font-weight: bold;">
        • 1. Re: List
          Ben Minson Level 2
          Do you always apply list styles to text using the same method (such as clicking the numbered list button in the toolbar)? I'm just thinking that if you apply list styles in different ways, that may account for the different coding.

I'm also wondering if you author directly in RH or if you author in another program and then import (or copy/paste) into RH.

I'm looking specifically at the ordered lists with these questions. Do you have an example of unordered list code that is working the way you want?

--Ben
          • 2. Re: List
            tojo45 Level 1
            Ben, Thanks for the response. I always start a list using the toolbar button, whether ordered or unordered. Though occasionally the "Format | Bullets and Numbering" menu options come into play if I need to change the bullet or number style for some reason. And occasionally, from that approach the Numbered examples on the Bullet & Numbering dialog will end up with two or three similar list examples on the same display (multiple 1,2,3 etc), and I'm never sure what the differences are. I'm thinking perhaps I've somehow used different styles without being aware I have.

The following is an example of code that's working the way I expect. The only difference I see between this below, and the code that is not working the way I want is the "list style: inside decimal" tag.

<p style="margin-left: 0px;"> </p>
            <ol style="list-style: decimal;" type=1>
            <li class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px;">On the <span style="font-weight: bold;">Borrower
            Services</span> tab, with the borrower's account displayed, click <span
            style="font-weight: bold;">Requests</span>. <spaces> </spaces>The
            <span style="font-weight: bold;">Place Requests</span> sub-tab will open
            as shown in the example above. </p></li>
            <li class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 4.5pt;">Type or
            scan the <span style="font-weight: bold;">Item ID</span> in the <span
            style="font-weight: bold;">Title Search</span> box and click <span style="font-weight: bold;">Search</span>.
            <spaces> </spaces>Or you can search for the title by typing a search
            term in the <span style="font-weight: bold;">Title Search</span> box and
            clicking <span style="font-weight: bold;">Search</span>. <spaces> </spaces>See
            <a href="Do_a_Title_Search.htm">Search for a Title</a> to learn more about
            how to search for a title.</p></li>
            <li class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 4.5pt;">From the
            search results locate and select the title of the item you want to request.
            <spaces> </spaces>The <span style="font-weight: bold;">Title</span>
            field will now display the title, as shown in the example above. </p></li>
            <li class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 4.5pt;">Under <span
            style="font-weight: bold;">Request Type</span> the options will now be
            available, and the <span style="font-weight: bold;">First Available</span>
            option will be selected by default. <spaces> </spaces>Retain that
            selection, or select another option as appropriate.</p></li>
            <li class=p><p style="margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 4.5pt;">Each option
            is listed below, along with the steps to place a Request using the option.

Thanks,

Joe
            • 3. Re: List
              MergeThis Level 4
              The "inside" value relates to exactly that: the number will be placed inside the paragraph margin, rather than on the outside (hanging margin).

Either:

* Someone selected the Number(Bullet) positioned within paragraph option in the Bullets and Numbering dialog.

* The topic was imported from Word, and someone made margin settings in the Customize Numbered(Bulleted) List dialog.

Good luck,
              Leon

• 4. Re: List
                Ben Minson Level 2
                In one of your problem lists, take a look at the setting that Leon pointed out. If that's not the problem and you're up for a bit of experimentation, try creating a new topic with two lists. Format one list using the toolbar button. Format the other list using the Bullets and Numbering dialog with settings that you've used in other topics. Then see if that results in different coding.
                • 5. Re: List
                  tojo45 Level 1
                  Thanks Leon and Ben. I'll look further for those possibilities Leon mentioned, and try the experiment and let you know.
                  • 6. Re: List
                    tojo45 Level 1
                    The toolbar buttons for both numbers and bullets cause the problem. Using the Format menu options they are good.

Now I have to ask, how do I restore the button options to the default (I assume the default is what I want)?

• 7. Re: List
                      Ben Minson Level 2
                      Try opening default.css in Notepad or another text editor and checking the OL,UL entry for the "inside decimal" declaration. There will probably also be an entry for LI.P, so you may also want to check that one.

I would have suggested opening the Styles dialog, but the Bullets and Numbering option is disabled when I expand Other, select Lists, and click the Format button. But maybe you could try that and see if you see the same thing. If you can click Bullets and Numbering, see if the check box Leon mentioned needs to be cleared.
                      • 8. Re: List
                        tojo45 Level 1
                        The default.css had no customizations, including all entries you mentioned. The Styles dialog also had bullets and numbering unavailable. The "Number(Bullet) positioned within paragraph" options were not selected.

I'm going to continue to work on the toolbar issues, but I think you've solved my problem re the project. Thanks so much. I was staring to lose what little hair I had left.