4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 5:46 AM by Just Shoot Me

Lightroom CC on older Macbook Pro

andylong42

Hi,

I have been using Lightroom CC on my works laptop (a modern HP, Core i7, 8GB RAM), but have decided to pick up an older Macbook to separate my photography from work. We are not all made of cash so I've ordered a 2011 Macbook Pro 15, i7 2.0GHz, 500GB SATA drive, 4GB RAM. I appreciate it is an old laptop and I will have to increase the RAM, but will Lightroom (my main reason for the purchase) run smoothly enough on this? Would swapping the drive for an SSD make much of a difference or would taking the RAM to 8 or 16GB be the biggest bang for my buck.

Many thanks

Andy

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC on older Macbook Pro
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Yes LR will work on it but if you want the newest version of LR CC you will need to upgrade OS X to at least 10.9.x.

2011 MBPs came with either Snow Leopard, 10.6.x, or Lion, 10.7.x, depending on what time of the year it was manufactured.

Either Early or Late versions of the 2011 MBPs can be upgraded to one of the newer version of OS X so the 64bit LR CC will run on it.

Please note that there is a recall on all versions of the 2011 models for faulty discrete graphics card that causes the system to fail. So you might want to rethink your purchase.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4766577?start=0&tstart=0

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC on older Macbook Pro
            Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It will run fine on that MBP but I would seriously consider Ram and an SSD...

BTW there is no recall but there is a Repair Extension programme if the graphics card fails.... which runs until end of this year.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Lightroom CC on older Macbook Pro
              andylong42 Level 1

Thanks for the answers. I wasnt aware of the problem, but for the price I have paid I will take the risk. It will come with El Capitan so the version will be fine. I didnt realise you can swap the DVD for a second drive, so will probably move the 500GB there for storage and install an SSD for the OS/Lightroom.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC on older Macbook Pro
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

andylong42 wrote:

Thanks for the answers. I wasnt aware of the problem, but for the price I have paid I will take the risk. It will come with El Capitan so the version will be fine. I didnt realise you can swap the DVD for a second drive, so will probably move the 500GB there for storage and install an SSD for the OS/Lightroom.

This is a BIG Mistake, it coming with El Capitan. All versions of OS X since Lion 10.7 have been Download Only from the Mac App Store and are Registered to the account of the person that downloaded and installed it and or to the original buyer of the system and to the system itself for reinstalling the original version of OS X it came with from the factory.

If it is a Late 2011 model then you might need to return it to Lion and then download and install El Capitan under your own Mac App Store account.

If it is an Early 2011 model that originally came with Snow Leopard then you will need the original system install discs.

In any event best of luck with it.

1 person found this helpful