3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2016 11:45 AM by Szalam

Best way to keep this center while using a camera?

SammyBro Level 1

I'm trying to keep the Rocket center in frame while I'm manipulating the position of the Camera. I've tried parenting it to the camera but that just breaks the position way to much, and wouldn't really work because I'd like to be able to pan up from the center of the moon, reveal the rocket at the top then keep it in frame while it goes upwards really fast. Sorry for the really beginner question, I haven't used AE in a long time and wasn't able to find anything online :/

Reference - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

• 1. Re: Best way to keep this center while using a camera?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could create a really fun rig with expressions on the point of interest for your camera.

You could add some expression controls to a null object somewhere. Like a slider whose value goes from 0 to 1.

Then, in the point of interest for your camera, you would put an expression that adds the value of that parameter to (the position of the rocket layer * slider). Then you would start with the slider at 0. This means your camera will just be looking at where the point of interest says. Then, keyframe the slider from 0 to 1 and at (roughly) the same time keyframe the actual value of the point of interest down to 0. Then it will just be looking at the rocket, no matter where the rocket goes.

Fun, right?

• 2. Re: Best way to keep this center while using a camera?
            SammyBro Level 1

Awesome! Defiantly sounds like it work, just have to figure out the right expressions lol. Thanks!

EDIT: I actually did it another way that turned out to be way easier. I just created a null and attached the rocket via pickwhip (the entire layer, not just position of the rocket) to that null and did the same thing with the camera(again the whole layer). Worked a treat!

• 3. Re: Best way to keep this center while using a camera?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Cool! Glad it worked for you.