6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 11:37 AM by andrewdraws

How to make Curves on one comp affect the comp below

andrewdraws

Hi there!  I have a comp with a product on it, and a layer below with an Adjustment layer (Curves) that is the shadow of the product.

This was fine when I had the background layer below that in the same comp.

But now I have to put the background layer into it's own comp.  And the Curves aren't affecting it!  Why?

Shadows.jpg

• 1. Re: How to make Curves on one comp affect the comp below
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Screenshots are nice but they don't tell us anything about the structure of your comp. If the Background pre-comp is in the same layer as the original background and you have collapsed transformations then it should work If that doesn't do it we need more info. It's probably an easy fix.

Please give us a screenshot with all of the modified properties revealed for the layers in question. Do that by selecting them and pressing the U key twice. If you have more than one comp (background in it's own comp) please include the flow chart.

• 2. Re: How to make Curves on one comp affect the comp below
            andrewdraws Level 1

Thanks Rick!  Attached are screen shots will explain better. I'm sure there's an easy fix to this.

shadow2.jpg

• 3. Re: How to make Curves on one comp affect the comp below
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Why not eliminate the adjustment layers and just apply curves to the layers in question?

• 4. Re: How to make Curves on one comp affect the comp below
                andrewdraws Level 1

Because I've got the products Pushing and the Background Pushing at a different rate and it seems difficult to marry the shadows to the products if they were in different Comps.

• 5. Re: How to make Curves on one comp affect the comp below
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure why you needed to move the background into a separate comp but since the adjustment layer that contains the background is no longer in that comp there is no way for it to effect the background. Your main comp has a bunch of layers that are all nested comps. There are six layers below the background. This tells me that the background must have some transparent areas in it or it is trimmed so that it doesn't cover up those six layers. I can't see the starting points of any of those layers so I'm going to assume that the reason that the background layer must be in that comp is that it extends to cover those other layers and the Two Jars comp does not cover the entire length of the comp. Otherwise there would be no reason to put that background in a separate comp. if that is the case, turn on the background in the two jars comp so that it is effected by the adjustment layer with a track matte and then trim the other background layer. If that worn't work you'll have to copy the adjustment layer and it's track matte and add them to the background comp.

I'm also curious as to why you don't have collapse transformations turned on for all of those nested comps. About the only reason I can come up with is that there are no animations on those nested layer comps.

A flow chart that is expanded to at least the next level would help understand things. Also, the modified properties of the two layers in question would be great to see. It would also be great to see the timeline so I can see the in and out points of the other layers.

• 6. Re: How to make Curves on one comp affect the comp below
                    andrewdraws Level 1

Rick, you're great!  Thanks... I think you've answered my question:  Collapse Transformations did it.