12 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2016 2:54 PM by alanterra

Fix capitalization of metadata

alanterra Level 1

I have a bunch (well, 45,000 or so) of photos taken in Baja California. I set the State/Province of these photos to "BC"—or at least I meant to. At least one photo seems to have its state set to "bC", so when I start typing, I am offered both "BC" and "bC" as autocomplete options. Choosing "BC" in the drop-down menu usually, but not always, actually chooses "bC", which drives me crazy. It is very difficult to enter "BC" successfully, though once I am able to do it, Lightroom mostly chooses "the most recent text" and I can now set the field correctly.

What I would like to do is to find all the photos with State/Province = "bC" and change them to "BC", which would fix the autocomplete problem, but I can't figure out how to do this.

Of course, I could select all photos with State/Province = "BC" using the Library Filter (which actually selects both "bC" and "BC") and then change them all to "BC". But this will update the metadata on about 45,000 photos, and there are lots of attendant problems from doing this.

Any thoughts?

I note that a similar question from 2009 remains unanswered.

• 1. Re: Fix capitalization of metadata
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

1. Open the KEYWORD LIST panel   ( you have two similar Keywords- eg LOCATIONS , located)

2. Click on the arrow to the right of 'LOCATIONS', will filter and show only photos with this keyword.

ScreenShot494.jpg

3. Select all visible photos (CTRL+A)    (that might be many images but continue!)

4. Place a tick/check in the other keyword  'located'  (This adds the second keyword)

ScreenShot493.jpg

5. To remove the 'LOCATIONS' keyword,  click on the tick besides 'LOCATIONS' (This Deletes the first keyword)

ScreenShot492.jpg

So your procedure might be- Filter for 'bC' >  Add 'BC' to all  > Delete 'bC' from all > Delete the 'bC' keyword.

You can also rename a keyword here- Right-click and choose [Edit Keyword Tag]

'Empty' keywords can be deleted.

• 2. Re: Fix capitalization of metadata
            Bob Somrak Level 5

After you remove "bC" from all your photos than you should do  menu "Metadata/Purge unused keywords" so 'bC' doesn't show up again.

• 3. Re: Fix capitalization of metadata
              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just Filter in the Keyword panel for BC where I have elworthy and you will have both keywords

Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 3.31.20 PM.png

Then just use the arrow on the right of the one you wish to remove to filter by that keyword, select all, then ctrl/right click the other keyword, select Add this keyword...... When the total of the keyword you want has been incremented, ctrl/right click the unwanted keyword and Delete.

• 4. Re: Fix capitalization of metadata

Bob Somrak wrote:

After you remove "bC" from all your photos than you should do  menu "Metadata/Purge unused keywords" so 'bC' doesn't show up again.

Dangerous as it would be easy to remove keywords that are still wanted as well....

• 5. Re: Fix capitalization of metadata
                  Bob Somrak Level 5

Geoff the kiwi wrote:

Dangerous as it would be easy to remove keywords that are still wanted as well....

Good catch.  I guess I should have said

go to the Keyword List,  right click 'bC', select Delete

• 6. Re: Fix capitalization of metadata

Bob Somrak wrote:

Geoff the kiwi wrote:

Good catch.  I guess I should have said

go to the Keyword List,  right click 'bC', select Delete

All good Bob, I make a lot of assumptions based on my workflow..... they don't always work for everyone, that is why it's great to have so many here chipping in!!

• 7. Re: Fix capitalization of metadata
                      alanterra Level 1

Hi All. For whatever reason, I never saw the emails reminding me to read your comments.

Unfortunately, my problem is in the State field, not a keyword. I don't think that these solutions apply to my case.

But thanks for the tips about keywords.

• 8. Re: Fix capitalization of metadata
                        john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

alanterra wrote:

Select all photos with State/Province = "BC" using the Library Filter (which actually selects both "bC" and "BC") and then change them all to "BC". But this will update the metadata on about 45,000 photos, and there are lots of attendant problems from doing this.

This is all you need to do to fix the issue. What attendant problems?

Also go into Catalog Settings, Metadata, and click Clear All Suggestion Lists - this will stop any more "bC" entries.

John

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Fix capitalization of metadata
                          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                          Choosing "BC" in the drop-down menu usually, but not always, actually chooses "bC", which drives me crazy. It is very difficult to enter "BC" successfully, though once I am able to do it, Lightroom mostly chooses "the most recent text" and I can now set the field correctly.

After entering "BC", rather than typing Tab or Return/Enter, click on a different field (e.g. City).  That will avoid invoking auto-complete and preserve what you've typed. Hitting Tab or Return/Enter invokes auto-complete and uses whatever is at the top of the auto-complete list.

But John Beardsworth's suggestion may be simpler: Clear the auto-complete lists by doing Catalog Settings > Metatadata > Clear All Suggestion Lists.  Of course, you'll lose all the other suggestions as well.

• 10. Re: Fix capitalization of metadata

Of course, I could select all photos with State/Province = "BC" using the Library Filter (which actually selects both "bC" and "BC") and then change them all to "BC".

Hmm, in my LR CC 2015.5.1, the Library Filter Metadata browser shows me two different values and lets me select just those that have "bC":

What does your Metadata browser show?

• 11. Re: Fix capitalization of metadata

Oops, I see in my example above that I had 6 pics with "bC" and 6 with "Bc", and the Metadata browser successfully distinguishes them.   But when I changed the 6 pics with "Bc" to have "BC" instead, the Metadata browser lumps them all under "bC", similar to what you saw:

That's a weird bug.

I don't know of any way within LR for doing case-dependent search of the State field. The various plugins either don't do case-dependent search (Search Replace Transfer, Any Filter) or else don't search State (Extended Search).  

You could use Exiftool to do a case-dependent search and optional replace, but that seems like a lot of effort just to avoid metadata changes to 45K files.

• 12. Re: Fix capitalization of metadata
                                alanterra Level 1

The major attendant problem is that it adds bunches of GB (perhaps a TB) of data to my next Time Machine backup, and Lightroom spins for a long time making the changes. (I have lots of TIFFs, and PSBs, of course the raw files with side-cars are not an issue).