7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2017 10:03 AM by Sue Garibaldi

Sketch Brushes in Full Photoshop

Nadia Khuzina Level 1

Is there a brush pack, way to export sketch brushes, or way to get a similar experience in regular photoshop?

Rant: Adobe Sketch is cool, iOS and the iPad pro are not. It's disappointing that Adobe is investing resources in a losing platform, especially when Creative Cloud works horrendously on even the highest end Apple hardware (no CUDA support for one). Apple took us back ten years with forcing the inferior, slower, and less secure experience of HTML5/JavaScript on us all. I recently switched from Apple for good, and it would be nice if Adobe focused on making one platform great again. It seems there are too many irons in the fire, and many products have been neglected in favor of money pits.

• 1. Re: Sketch Brushes in Full Photoshop
          KoMaruyama Adobe Community Professional

Currently, there isn't a translation for the abr package from Sketch to Photoshop CC.

You could probably make something similar yourself with Photoshop CC tho.

• 2. Re: Sketch Brushes in Full Photoshop
            Nadia Khuzina Level 1

:-(

I have hundreds of custom made brushes, and all the Wacom pens for taking advantage of tilt on the Cintiq, but unless it's exactly the same, there's no point to getting too serious with anything on the iPad, which I sometimes use for sketching traveling.  It needs to be able to accept brushes or export them, otherwise it's a waste of time since iOS is crippled and there's not many projects you can complete solely on it. I think the iPad is a very expensive paperweight most of the time, cheaper and better to have Surface Pro, but some of us have to live with poor purchasing decisions.  :-)

Affinity Designer's iOS release (not yet public) will be a full version, and will have the ability to export brushes from the desktop version from day one in comparison.

• 3. Re: Sketch Brushes in Full Photoshop
              KoMaruyama Adobe Community Professional

yeah. iOS isn't as robust as desktop.

The beauty of the SurfacePro is that you don't even need iOS apps. you can just run professional apps on it.  Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, with no need for translation.

• 4. Re: Sketch Brushes in Full Photoshop
                neonhallway

Unfortunately you *can't* make something similar in Photoshop. Adobe's Capture app for iOS is brilliant, and the full-color brushes you can make add so much creative potential, much more than Photoshop's BW brushes in my opinion. But it's ridiculous that I have to pass an image back and forth between my iPad/iPhone and my computer to use those brushes. The end result is, I never end up using them because the workflow is terrible. Being able to use these full-color brushes in Photoshop CC would be life-changing for me, and I suspect for many of us.

• 5. Re: Sketch Brushes in Full Photoshop
                  Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi NeonHallway.

It sounds like you completely know what you're doing with Capture and Photoshop (and that you want specific brushes in Ps but they won't save there) but I wanted to make sure of one thing.... Are you saving your Capture brushes for Photoshop? If you are, they should show up in your Libraries panel.

Let me know if you need help with anything.

Sue.

• 6. Re: Sketch Brushes in Full Photoshop
                    neonhallway Level 1

Hey Sue,

Thanks for the response!

The brushes I'm referring to are full-color Adobe Sketch brushes - as far as I know, the only way to save full-color brushes in the Capture app is to choose "Photoshop Sketch" in the Style menu.

When I'm in Photoshop CC, these brushes show up grayed-out in my Libraries panel. The brushes I've saved as "Photoshop CC" brushes *do* appear in my CC library panel for use, but I'm restricted to black and white for these. What I'd love is a way to use the full-color "Sketch" brushes in Photoshop CC on my laptop.

• 7. Re: Sketch Brushes in Full Photoshop
                      Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi NeonHallway.

Yep. I was pretty sure you were doing things correctly but I wanted to check. I agree that the "Sketch" brushes in Capture are most interesting...

Hang in there, I know that the product team is going to be continuing work on the brushes in Sketch/Photoshop so in the coming year, you may see some changes that will work for you.

Sue.

1 person found this helpful