10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2016 5:46 PM by Lightroom 5 Problem

Unexpected error opening catalog

Lightroom 5 Problem

When open lightroom CC, I get the error dialogue box, stated - “Unexpected error opening catalog. The catalog could not open  due to an unexpected error”.

Under the statement is the fine print, it stated - “cannot be on network volumnes r in read only folders”

It puzzles me since the error message came suddenly, where I am still using the old catalog folder, without making any changes. The catalog is always in the folder C:\photo\lightroom\lightroom and cataalog is lightroon catalog.lcat.

Then, I follow the optional buttons. I hit ” try again” serveral times, nothing is changes, it is back to the error dialogue box. Then, I hit ” choose a different catalog”, it opens up a new box. Here I can “choose different catalog”, where I try to use the backup catalog, but it comes back the same error dialogue box again. The I try to “create a new catalog. I give a new catalog name. yet it did not take it. And return me to the error dialog box again.

So my conclusion is no way I fix fix the problem, even I want to create a new catalog, it does not allow me to do. Please help, what could be the fix?

I have checked my annual CC suscription, it will be renewed by 4/29/2016. I use the automatic payment, no payment is delayed.

Steve,

Message was edited by: Geoff Walker to remove email address.... posting email addresses on the forum can lead to spam.

• 1. Re: Unexpected error opening catalog
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like something has changed somehow. Have you checked the Permissions of the Folders Lightroom and Photo are set to Read and Write for your profile??

• 3. Re: Unexpected error opening catalog
            Lightroom 5 Problem Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I have applied your three solutions, unfortunately not none works.  I suspect before, it has to do the catalog folder security "permission", yet  why it became none accessible suddenly without I made any change to it? Could someone hack into my computer? Secondly, I have a standalone Light-room 5.7.1 in the same PC, I can open it but it has lost its Collections. All my previous work disappeared.  Is it a problem more associated with Light-room 6 CC? I would like to try to reinstall Light-room CC, do you think it will work? Even drastically, if I re-install Window 10 OS, will that help? I really like to recover my previous work as well. Thanks.

Steve

• 4. Re: Unexpected error opening catalog

Hi,

Thanks for the reply from Geoff the kiwi .  I have applied your three solutions, unfortunately none works.  As I suspect before, it has to do the catalog folder security "permission", yet  why it became none accessible suddenly without I made any change to it? Could someone hack into my computer? Now I can’t even create a new catalog if I want to. That makes Lightroom CC none workable at all. Here I would like to get answers to questions below before trying other option.

1. If I copy the Picture folder which has the catalog file and its backup to another folder (new folder), then Lightroom will be able to pick up the catalog? I like to recover the catalog that will recover my close to a year work as well. Do you have any other idea to recover the existing catalog?
              2. If the catalog is none recoverable, then can I uninstall the Lightroom CC and make new installation. I assume a new lightroom CC should work, am I right? If, not, I have a bigger problem, I may have to reinstall window 10 OS!
              3. I have Lightroom 5.7.1 ( not CC version) in the same desktop PC  and it works, yet the catalog is blank. It does not contain my previous work because all collection files are gone.
              4. I have a laptop PC. its Lightroom CC works with its own catalog well. Can I assume the Lightroom CC in desktop and laptop  are working independently.

Steve

• 5. Re: Unexpected error opening catalog

Hi,

I have copied the picture folder which catalog file exists, to desktop or another hard drive. However when I pick the catalog file from either desktop of another drive, it always pick the same file – lightroom catalog.lcat from the same place –c:\photo\lightroom\lightroom. C:\photo is where my photo files kept.  

I found in the select catalog dialogue box the note – “ Note: lightroom catalogs cannot be on network volumes or read-only folders” need to be resolved. I fix the read only problem by selecting the properties of the folder and changing the attribute via unchecking read-only.  It does not work!, then be the network volume problem. How can fix it?

I run the lightroom "run as administer" it does not work either!

Steve

• 6. Re: Unexpected error opening catalog
                  Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not a PC User so will leave this to someone who is..... sorry.

• 7. Re: Unexpected error opening catalog
                    Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Reinstalling Lightroom or Windows will not solve the problem.

Right click the folder (containing the .lrcat file) that you copied to a new location, and choose Properties, then click on Security.

Now click on your username, and make sure that you have Full control.

If not, change settings by clicking Edit.

Click OK.

Lr-catalog-folder.propertied.png

With Lightroom closed, double-click the .lrcat file.

This will launch Lightroom with that catalog, hopefully without any problems.

• 8. Re: Unexpected error opening catalog

Hi,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I follow it closely. Now, the users are in “full control”, all access boxes are checked. Lr confirm box “unexpected error opening catalog” still shows up.  I have re-booted the PC. The problem persists. Please suggest what can I try next!

Steve

• 9. Re: Unexpected error opening catalog

In conclusion,  I really HELPLESS and get nowhere !

I have tried all options as suggested, but none work. Lr Confirm Box gives me “ unexpected error opening catalog”, and I hit

“try again” it fails,

• “Choose a Different Catalog”
                          • Either “Choose different catalog” or “Create a new catalog”, it fails  and points me to the same catalog again. With the note -  “ Note: lightroom catalogs cannot be on network volumes or read-only folders”, it confuses me since all my access permission is “full control”, not read only. What does it mean on “ network volumes”
                        • 10. Re: Unexpected error opening catalog

Hi, everyone

I have solved my problem by removing the current Lr CC, and re-install a new Lr CC.  Now I can pick up the old Catalog.It works well and no unexpected catalog error.

Steve