1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 9, 2016 10:42 AM by johnrellis

Retrieve altitude / elevation based on GPS location

dhmc05

When in the Map module manually adding the location to an photo, Lightroom both retrieves the latitude / longitude and the altitude.

I have several tracklogs / photos I have the GPS location, but without the altitude / elevation and I would like to retrieve them as Lightroom can.

Question: is there a function that can retrieve the altitude based on the GPS location?

I know that I can retrieve them from GeoNames.org for example, but I'm curious if I can use a Lightroom build-in function that.

Also GeoNames.org only returns elevation as whole numbers as Lightroom in the Map modules give them with one decimal. Living in a flat area this makes some difference.

• 1. Re: Retrieve altitude / elevation based on GPS location
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
          I have several tracklogs / photos I have the GPS location, but without the altitude / elevation and I would like to retrieve them as Lightroom can.

Unfortunately, if the tracklog is missing altitude, then when you use the Map > Tracklog > Auto-Tag Photos command, LR will not supply the missing altitude.

However, the Geoencoding Support plugin does have a function for filling in missing altitudes (File > Plug-In Extras > jf Geocoding Support > Geoencode > Etc > Fill Elevation.    You could also simply use that plugin, rather than LR's built-in commands, to process all your tracklogs and have the altitudes automatically provided.   Many people are very satisfied with the plugin, and the author's many plugins have an excellent reputation.