12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2016 9:42 AM by Jao vdL

Stop Lightroom Processing

philljp

Hi all,

I've had this happen once before, and i cant remember how to stop it.  I'm using Lightroom 5, and for some reason it is converting everything to black and white.  I think it's possibly pasting develop settings to any photo that i can see in grid view.  As soon as i scroll up and down and it see's photos, it will paste settings to those photos automatically.

Anyone know how i can stop this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Stop Lightroom Processing
          dj_paige Level 9

A likely explanation is that you are applying a develop preset at Import.

It should say "None" in the Develop Settings box at Import

2016-04-09 10_07_27-Lightroom.png

• 2. Re: Stop Lightroom Processing
            philljp Level 1

Thanks for the response.

The images are already imported, and it only applies to the images once they are actually in view.  If i scroll away from the images it stops processing them.

• 3. Re: Stop Lightroom Processing
              dj_paige Level 9

But the above solution will prevent this from happening on future imports.

If you want your already imported photos to be color, select the photo(s) in the Library Module and then under the Photo menu, go to Develop Settings, there will most likely be a check next to Convert to Black and White, if you select this item, the check will be removed and the photos will return to color.

• 4. Re: Stop Lightroom Processing
                philljp Level 1

The problem does not occur on import, so we can remove that from the equation.

I've got about 550 photos which have all been edited from a wedding, which i finished last week.  I opened Lightroom today, and as im scrolling through the photos they are changing to black and white.  The processing history shows "Paste Settings" have been applied, and it's doing it photo by photo, so i have to quickly scroll off the photos so it doesnt apply this processing on the other images.

What would be good is if there was a setting of command so i could stop all current processing, such as a Ctrl+C when you're running a script.  Closing and Re-opening doesn't stop this.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Stop Lightroom Processing
                  dj_paige Level 9

Most likely, you have accidentally applied caused these settings to be pasted into this group of photos, and Lightroom is just updating the thumbnails as you are seeing them change. As far as I know, there is no way to stop this.

As I said, the convert to black and white menu item should be unchecked and this will turn your photos back to color. Maybe this will even stop the behavior you are seeing.

• 6. Re: Stop Lightroom Processing
                    philljp Level 1

Unfortunately, that's not it

I've stopped this before, just cannot find out how i did it.

• 7. Re: Stop Lightroom Processing
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's hard to imagine what you did previously to stop this, because the behavior you are describing is not normal. I have never experienced that. The only time my images turn to black and white is what I choose to do so. It would seem that somewhere in that "paste settings" history entry you have the black and white option enabled. What happens if you remove that history entry from one of the images?

• 8. Re: Stop Lightroom Processing
                        philljp Level 1

If i click the previous history entry it returns back to the correct previous edit.

I'm sure it was something to do with those Sync / Auto Sync buttons and the little switch.  I've tried playing around with those though and cant seem to stop it.

• 9. Re: Stop Lightroom Processing

The Auto sync button will only apply adjustments to the images that are highlighted at the time the adjustments are made. Again, try deleting the "Paste Settings" step from one of the images. If it doesn't correct the problem you should always use the undo function to the step.

• 10. Re: Stop Lightroom Processing
                            Bob Somrak Level 5

When you use AutoSync make sure you turn it back off AS SOON as you are done needing it. (Actually, your rarely NEED it)  Its one tool that can REALLY mess up your photos collection if you accidentally leave it turned on and its a mess to clean up after.  I only use it on rare occasions.  I wish the button would flash red when it is turned on.  Not really!!

• 11. Re: Stop Lightroom Processing

Yeah, I've been burned by that mistake before myself.

• 12. Re: Stop Lightroom Processing
                                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Interesting. I have it always turned on and have never been burned by this. I guess it is all in how you work as in the way I work I rarely would end up with multiple selections if I didn't intend to before going into Develop. I often really need to have auto sync on and am more bitten by the opposite where I thought I was syncing develop settings and they didn't because I somehow lost the multiple selection before going into Develop. Of course it's easy to sync develop settings but it adds quite a few extra clicks. The potential for mistakes such as this is definitely there though with auto-sync selected.