14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2016 5:55 AM by Just Shoot Me

Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive

roberth94304522rhau

I am new to Lightroom and have at least 50,000  images in a complex Windows file tree on a NAS at work -the root folder is IMAGES and there are 2000 subfolders.  I have a copy of that complete file tree that I will keep as a backup while I make the move to Lightroom.  My plan is to keep my images on my NAS at work and keep the Lightroom catalog and previews on a fast Hyper X USB 3 flash drive. .  Goal is to work at home where the work NAS is a mapped drive over a  VPN.   NAS and Flashdrive will both have static paths.  I don't have time at work to devote to getting things on Lightroom. And I can't move the NAS.

The majority of work I need to do now is just getting the images imported and organized.  I plan to import and move folders one at a time from IMAGES to IMAGES-LR keeping the same file tree structure.  I can add a few keywords to the images in each folder just based on the file tree structure. Once everything is in Lightroom I plan to simplify and combine folders since I will no longer need a complex filing system to find images.

1-Anybody have any experience, cautions, advice?

2-How do I set up Lightroom so the catalog is on the Flash drive?

3-Can I start with the catalog in the default location on my home computer and then move it to the flashdrive?

• 1. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive
          dj_paige Level 9

keep the Lightroom catalog and previews on a fast Hyper X USB 3 flash drive.

Catalogs cannot go on USB 3 drives. They must be on an internal or external drive, either traditional hard disk or SSD.

• 2. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive
            roberth94304522rhau Level 1

I based my plan on an a reply from Jao vdL to an earlier more general question.. 

Can someone confirm the answer from dj_paige?  Or Jao vdl?

I ordered a Kingston Hyper X Savage 128GB USB Flash Drive.  Can use another way if it won't work

• 3. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Not sure what dj_paige is talking about. The catalog can certainly go on an External drive, of any type, that connects by USB 3 port.

Now I'm not sure about the actual drive you are talking about but take a look at the Samsung Portable SSD T1 USB 3 drives. Very fast and just larger than a credit card. IIRC they come in 250, 500 GBs and 1TB sizes.

• 4. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Not sure what dj_paige is talking about. The catalog can certainly go on an External drive, of any type, that connects by USB 3 port.

Indeed they can be on any external drive. Even on thumb drives. I can even put them on a memory card in a card reader.

>Now I'm not sure about the actual drive you are talking about but take a look at the Samsung Portable SSD T1 USB 3 drives. Very fast and just larger than a credit card. IIRC they come in 250, 500 GBs and 1TB sizes.

I tried the samsung drives and I thought the driver software was absolutely horrid. Extremely badly done. The hardware is quite nice but I refuse to install software that doesn't uninstall gracefully (i.e. actually remove itself) like the samsung software. It leaves lots of active crud behind after uninstalling! You can't access the drive without their software at all contrary to every other hard drive including SSD drives out there! The drive will work across machines without needing extra software after you disable the drive's (again non-standard) encryption in their software. Other people might not be bothered by this though so take this with a grain of salt. There are plenty credit card SSDs out there that do not do this though and just work like any other hard drive.

• 5. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive

I'm using one of the Samsung drives for Virtual Machines, both for Win XP and 10 and 2 versions of OS X. The software that comes with it is only to initially initialize the drive and to encrypt it if you choose to. I didn't and have had no problems with that software.

Once the drive is initialized you can move from computer to computer without installing that software.

• 6. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive

I know but it leaves a daemon/service running in the background even if you uninstall after disabling the encryption. Lots of reports on the Internet on this as in the reviews in Amazon and other places. This bothers me but I know it won't bother most people in the least.

• 7. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive
                      Bob Somrak Level 5

Jay vdL

Glad I seen this thread as I almost ordered this SSD drive.  I use a Thunderbolt LaCie SSD for my catalog and photos (Great drive BTW) and thought I would get this as a backup system on usb3.  It seems Samsungs requirement to install software to even use the drive and reformat it is pretty onerous .  I guess I will just spend a little more and get another LaCie which operates just like a normal drive.  Thanks

• 8. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive

The Samsung drive will work like any other drive once you install the software and initialize the drive. You can then remove all the Samsung software and use it on any computer.

• 9. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive
                          Bob Somrak Level 5

You shouldn't have to install ANYTHING to use a portable drive.  Bad design.

• 10. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive

Just Shoot me, you are absolutely right but the rub is that it installs a kernel extension/service on your computer that remains there and active even after you uninstall their software! It is probably fairly harmless but very disconcerting and shouldn't happen. I know windows users are used to every single piece of hardware likely fouling up their computer with pieces of software everywhere but I was shocked when I found this out as I am so used to external disks just working straight out of the box.

• 11. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive

P.S. the hardware is really quite nice so this is unfortunate and if you don't mind the stuff it installs or know how to actually remove it it's a really useful and well-priced disk. It's all a matter of perspective I guess.

• 12. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive
                                twlawrenceko

I have an issue about import images from SD card directly to NAS (WD My Cloud), after I import it to my NAS folder, the create time is the time when the photo is imported to the folder, not based on the time when I took the picture.

But if I import directly to my local drive, the time works absolutely fine.

Any solution will be appreciated.

• 13. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive

Just listen to all of you. Adobe installs and starts with the computer many more services, Apps, Programs, Kernel extensions than most any other piece of software. And that even before you actually open up any of the CC programs.

The activation process is so you can enable encryption on the drive and then still move that drive from computer to computer and still have access to the data on the drive.

Once activated all the software, services, extensions can be removed. Sure Samsung should make one that doesn't have this feature and needed software.

I'm happy with mine. I have removed all the software and move the drive to multiple computers without problems.

• 14. Re: Images on NAS -catalog and previews on Flash drive

Just Shoot Me wrote:

Just listen to all of you. Adobe installs and starts with the computer many more services, Apps, Programs, Kernel extensions than most any other piece of software. And that even before you actually open up any of the CC programs.

The activation process is so you can enable encryption on the drive and then still move that drive from computer to computer and still have access to the data on the drive.

Once activated all the software, services, extensions can be removed. Sure Samsung should make one that doesn't have this feature and needed software.

I'm happy with mine. I have removed all the software and move the drive to multiple computers without problems.

You are looking at the FILE ON DISK create time in a File Manager program like Finder or Win/File Explorer. You need to look at the Capture time, Digitized time, which isn't normally shown, or at all, in a File Manager program.