9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 5:34 AM by Szalam

My After Effects CC 2015 preview and rendering is just ridiculously slow

lewisw2963828

I have used after effects for many years, mainly on mac with no issues.

Recently I purchased a PC with a quad core PC (Intel Core I5 4460 3.2Ghz Quad Core Processor) and a good graphics card (GTX 960) and 8gb of RAM. I have all drivers updated and use an SSD.

For some reason when using After Effects 2015, my preview and rendering is just awful.

Even if I try to preview at a quarter quality/resolution, I get less than 1fps playback (as shown below):

Capture.PNG

I have tried messing with the settings and cant seem to do anything which speeds it up. Its just unusable.

Rendering is the same and it takes about 2 hours to render a 30 second video is 720p.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: My After Effects CC 2015 preview and rendering is just ridiculously slow
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is this preview at less than 1 fps during caching or does this happen after it caches?

Is your composition set to use the ray-traced renderer (bad idea) or the standard renderer (best choice)?

What, exact, version of AE CC 2015 are you using?

• 2. Re: My After Effects CC 2015 preview and rendering is just ridiculously slow
            Stephen Barrante Level 1

I've replied into some older posts, that have generally turned into a flaming mess – so I wanted to at least chime in and voice my opinion on this as well. Like many of us, I've seen a huge degradation in performance from CC14 to CC15.

Currently using a 2013 6-core (D500s) Mac Pro, 32GB of ram, and working off a SSD and TB2 RAID drive. After Effects version is 13.7.2.3.

These issues are right at the surface, with the most simplest of comps (no video clips, large images, or complicated effects). I have a 1920x1080 comp with several animated text layers. There is some scripting being used but it's very nominal. I've disabled motion blur and just simply trying to play it back realtime with the music. I'm getting 1-5fps on playback while it tries to cache. These layers should render realtime base on older versions of AE. It shouldn't need to cache the playback to test the timing.

Even when I force the quality to Quarter, still pretty miserable. And I'm also not convinced the timeline bug is completely gone, even after the section caches, the playback isn't always smooth. No "Ray-trace" renderer being used.

Just so frustrating.

• 3. Re: My After Effects CC 2015 preview and rendering is just ridiculously slow

Stephen Barrante wrote:

Just so frustrating.

That sounds incredibly frustrating!

Hopefully the next update with its focus on playback, stability, etc. will make things better for you.

• 4. Re: My After Effects CC 2015 preview and rendering is just ridiculously slow
                lewisw2963828 Level 1

I just don't get it. I am really beginning to dislike Adobe Products more and more as they update. The only one I am truly satisfied with is Adobe Acrobat DC...

My PC can render GTAV at 60fps with no lag or issues. Yet I can't smoothly play a basic flat animation with 8-10 layers over 10fps. It just doesn't make sense.

• 5. Re: My After Effects CC 2015 preview and rendering is just ridiculously slow

lewisw2963828 wrote:

I can't smoothly play a basic flat animation with 8-10 layers over 10fps. It just doesn't make sense.

That doesn't make sense. I use windows and I'm not having issues with realtime previews once a preview is cached and is playing back from RAM. I wonder what's different between our machines. You are using 13.7.1, right?

• 6. Re: My After Effects CC 2015 preview and rendering is just ridiculously slow
                    lewisw2963828 Level 1

Im currently at my work computer (which ironically is no where near the spec of my PC but runs AE fine).

I dont actually know the version, but its fairly recent and definitely CC2015.

Maybe ill roll back to 2014 (if i can) and see if this helps.

• 7. Re: My After Effects CC 2015 preview and rendering is just ridiculously slow

I always suggest keeping both CC 2014 and CC 2015 versions of AE installed (as does the AE team at Adobe). That way, if you experience weirdness in CC 2015, you can just grab your project in CC 2014 and keep working to meet your deadline. But before you totally ditch CC 2015, make sure you've updated to 13.7.1. Updates to CC 2015 have included major bug fixes.

I'm looking forward to the next release of AE. When I saw it demoed at NAB, they mostly talked about improvements on things like performance and stability. As someone who earns his living with AE, that's good news!

• 8. Re: My After Effects CC 2015 preview and rendering is just ridiculously slow
                        Stephen Barrante Level 1

Figured I'd resurrect the conversation to see if anyone is experiencing less than mind blowing performance increases running older projects in recently released AE 13.8? I kept the last build of 13.7 installed, and just for sh**s and giggles I even re-installed AE 2014 to run some comparisons

1. Only had one version of AE running at any given time
                        2. Completely cleared the cache each time
                        3. Isolated the same section of animation

Project 1 - time to cache :10

Scene was composed of 50+ vector layers, several text layers, motion blur enabled

AE 2014 - 1:45

AE 13.7 - 1:55

AE 13.8 - 2:15

Project 2 - time to cache :30

Scene was composed of multiple animated pngs and some copy animation, no motion blur

AE 2014 - :20

AE 13.7 - :20

AE 13.8 - :22

In AE 2014 I hit the "Ram Preview" button and in AE 2015's the spacebar. Stopwatch was stopped when all frames in the work area were cached, regardless of the playback speed.

So performance is about the same or just slightly worse and somewhat surprising (though I've heard people mention this) AE 2014 was faster on the first project! These tests were done on a late 2015 MacBook Pro with an AMD Radeon R9. Tomorrow I might try the same test on my MacPro, but I expect something similar.

*sigh*

• 9. Re: My After Effects CC 2015 preview and rendering is just ridiculously slow

This is to be expected in most cases. CC 2014 had the old multiprocessing. As long as you have the hardware to use that feature (and your project didn't have any expressions or effects that killed it), I would expect most things to render more quickly in CC 2014. CC 2015 had the focus on speeding up interactivity. It's much quicker to move around and work in CC 2015. CC 2015.3 seems mostly focused on fixing bugs and stabilizing AE - basically to make it like how CC 2015 was originally supposed to be.

Now, there are some things that will be faster in CC 2015.3. Importing image sequences from network drives is significantly faster. Rendering the Lumetri effect is also much quicker, now that it is GPU-accelerated.

But, yes, I would expect rendering previews or final projects to be faster in CC 2014. That's why the After Effects team at Adobe keeps suggesting we keep CC 2014 on hand. The AE team has said that they are working on building a new rendering system that is much better than the old one. The old one was a buggy workaround to try to make aging code deal with multiple cores. It was incompatible with GPU acceleration and there were many things that would break it. They are trying to create a new rendering system that will work on modern machines, but sadly they aren't there yet. The buggy-ness of CC 2015's initial release set them back more than expected.