4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2016 6:49 AM by RjL190365

Premiere Pro slow SSD playback

airwalkr19 Level 1

I have been editing 4K Red Footage off a G-Drive 7200 RPM Thunderbolt connection with minor issues, only with heavy color grading layers will I experience choppy playback.

I then purchased an Internal Samsung 1TB SSD, which I run as external with SATAIII to USB 3.0 adapter.

The read and write speeds have been tested with BlackMagic Disk Utility and they are easily 2.5 - 3 times as fast in both departments.

After I copied all the MEDIA contents over to the SSD I then ran Premiere Pro on it and ran a few playback tests.

Eyeball tests were run with both effects & layers enabled AND disabled.

The playback choppiness on SSD USB 3.0 is far choppier than the single 7200 RPM HDD Thunderbolt drive.

Unfortunately the Samsung Magician Optimization software is only available for PC and not MAC.

I have read minor documentation on latency comparisons between USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt, but it's typically in reference to Audio.

Unsure if this applies to Video playback as well.

I'm at a loss for the discrepancy in playback speed.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro slow SSD playback
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In general, sustained throughput on Thunderbolt used for PrPro is actually quite a bit more than with USB3. So the comment " ... are easily 2.5 to 3 times as fast ... " has me puzzled. Three times as fast as ... what?

First, I'd suggest checking the hardware forum for questions on this ...

And of course, it's always nice if Bill Gehrke pops in, as he is The Dude for such info.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro slow SSD playback
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, I am not sure I can add much to a Mac problem.  As I am a PC user I rely on different benchmarks.  I will say this, there are great performance differences of SATA III to USB 3 convertors and even USB 3.0 ports.

Latency's on USB devices with video is very real, and does very with the implementation.

Let me relate my successful experiment with my laptop using a Samsung T1 USB 3.0 Flash Drive.  I am easily/smoothly editing XAVC S 4K 100 Mbits/second (probably simpler than your Red video) with all the project files and media on this device with no problems . Samsung now has a newer T3 which might be slightly better.  The tested sequential read/write performance is ~400 MB/second. as you can see below:

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro slow SSD playback
              airwalkr19 Level 1

Thank you for your responses fellas. I think after deep research the problem just lies in my CPU. I have the low end of the late 2014 27" iMac Retina. It's i5 with a 2GB AMD GFX Card. I guess I expected the SSD to accelerate my 4k Editing speeds, but it really perhaps just lies in the internals of my computer.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro slow SSD playback
                RjL190365 Level 4

R Neil Haugen wrote:

So the comment " ... are easily 2.5 to 3 times as fast ... " has me puzzled. Three times as fast as ... what?

The OP meant to say that the USB 3.0-connected SSD is three times as fast as the Thunderbolt-connected hard drive. This is because hard drives are themselves limited in their sustainable (sequential) transfer speed by their physically spinning platters. In fact, the average sequential transfer speed of a single typical 7200 RPM hard drive is only about 160 MB/second while SSDs (via a USB 3.0 connection) can sustain about 400 MB/second.