4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 10:39 AM by Newsgroup_User

volume name

Level 7
      I need to test whether a CD with a certain volume name is inserted in a
      cd-rom drive. I can't use Buddy API because my client doesn't want to pay
      for the xtra and I'm already using two functions. On the PC I can get a
      drive letter list and test whether it's a CD or not but once I find the CD
      drive, how can I determine its volume name (of course, on the Mac the drive
      list includes the volume names) on the PC?

• 1. Re: volume name
          Level 7
          WOMP wrote:
          > I need to test whether a CD with a certain volume name is inserted in
          > a cd-rom drive. I can't use Buddy API because my client doesn't want
          > to pay for the xtra and I'm already using two functions. On the PC I
          > can get a drive letter list and test whether it's a CD or not but
          > once I find the CD drive, how can I determine its volume name (of
          > course, on the Mac the drive list includes the volume names) on the
          > PC?

Would the fx_VolumeExists method from filextra4 work?

Andrew

• 2. Re: volume name
            Level 7
            > I can't use Buddy API because my client doesn't want to pay
            > for the xtra and I'm already using two functions. On the PC I can get a
            > drive letter list and test whether it's a CD or not but once I find the CD
            > drive, how can I determine its volume name (of course, on the Mac the drive
            > list includes the volume names) on the PC?

If you are using Buddy for the drive letter list and to determine
            whether its a CD, you can use FileXtra4 for these functions - leaving
            Buddy free to get the drive name

That being said you really should purchase Buddy - it is *so*
            indispensable, for every project beyond your current client
            • 3. Re: volume name
              Level 7
              > Would the fx_VolumeExists method from filextra4 work?

I just tried this with a DVD on WinXP SP3 and it doesn't seem to work. I
              think FileXtra4 wants the drive letter, not the volume name.
              • 4. Re: volume name
                Level 7
                Unfortunately I'm using Buddy API for the baMsgBox and baMsgButtons or
                something like that. It's a long store but I spent a couple hours trying to
                figure out what version of the Xtra works on OS10.3.9 with MX but I never
                got it straight so I had to use an older version that doesn't include
                baMsgBoxEx which allows you to define more button names.

Anyway, I purchased buddy API in 2000 from a authorized vendor in Australia
                I believe and although I got a confirmation (albeit automated) that they
                received my question, I haven't heard a thing from them in several days. I
                wanted to see if I was eligible for an upgrade price to the new version.
                The client doesn't want to pay a dime for any Xtras.

What ended up working was a combination of the two Xtras as suggested but
                because FileXtra4 on the Mac gives the volume names, I didn't need the extra
                call to BuddyAPI. On the PC I was able to use baMsgBoxEx and...well this is
                probably terribly confusing but needless to say, I worked it all out.

Thanks for the help Sean and Andrew.

Craig

"Sean Wilson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gngk55$f9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> I can't use Buddy API because my client doesn't want to pay for the xtra
                >> and I'm already using two functions. On the PC I can get a drive letter
                >> list and test whether it's a CD or not but once I find the CD drive, how
                >> can I determine its volume name (of course, on the Mac the drive list
                >> includes the volume names) on the PC?
                >
                > If you are using Buddy for the drive letter list and to determine whether
                > its a CD, you can use FileXtra4 for these functions - leaving Buddy free
                > to get the drive name
                >
                > That being said you really should purchase Buddy - it is *so*
                > indispensable, for every project beyond your current client