8 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2016 6:32 AM by Szalam
      • 1. Re: how to export film strip in after effect cs6
        Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The filmstrip format is long dead. You need to use conventional image sequences.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: how to export film strip in after effect cs6
          kenpelletier Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

The filmstrip format is long dead. You need to use conventional image sequences.

Mylenium

It seems you don't understand the benefit of working on a image sequence in a film strip environment. The way the process worked before allowed you to imitate drawing on a strip of film, across many frames with a single continuous stroke, which creates an organic dancing animation that would be insanely annoying to reproduce drawing frame by frame. Look at the main titles for Seven and Scott Pilgrim vs the World for examples. We know the tool is gone, they're looking for alternatives and solutions.

As for a workaround, it's not easy, but it could be done with a photoshop action + some expressions in AE. I don't have a specific method, but you would essentially be recreating the tall film strip from an image sequence and putting it in AE and moving it up each frame just like in a film projector. I did not know this tool disappeared until today and now that I need it, I really miss it.

• 3. Re: how to export film strip in after effect cs6
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you sure you still need it? Photoshop has had some major improvements in how it handles video and you may just not be poking into the right areas.

What effects are you trying to reproduce?

• 4. Re: how to export film strip in after effect cs6
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are a lot more efficient ways to do what you are trying to do. I know a lot of folks that do hand drawn animation in AE. I don't know anybody except you that has asked about using Photoshop Filmstrip in many years.

• 5. Re: how to export film strip in after effect cs6
                kenpelletier Level 1

What's with the tone y'all? This was a handy way to do a specific style of rotoscoping, and it would be nice if it was still there. OP asked how to export a filmstrip, I'm just helping him find the tool he needs. Clearly, you guys are not. Now I remember why avoid this forum.

• 6. Re: how to export film strip in after effect cs6

I don't understand why you're trying to use a deprecated feature. You can still do frame-by-frame drawing in Photoshop (and I know several folks who do it) and they prefer the new way of doing it.

I'm trying to find out exactly what you're trying to do to see why the new and improved tools aren't improved for you.

• 7. Re: how to export film strip in after effect cs6
                    kenpelletier Level 1

Same reason people use unmult still. It does a thing really well. I know people prefer hand drawing in photoshop, I'm also talking about hand drawing in photoshop, but if you draw one long squigly line down 120 frames stacked vertically and then play it back it looks like this: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World | Title Sequence - Art Of The Title - YouTube

That's not easy to reproduce the random and hand made feeling of doing it on a strip. It changes the frame from being a single canvas that you can paint on per frame to a GIANT canvas and you can make an animation spanning multiple frames with a single brushstroke.

BUT, I have no idea if that's what OP was interested in, I was just helping him find a workaround to the missing filmstrip export. W

• 8. Re: how to export film strip in after effect cs6

Doing that line through the whole thing would be fun to do.

Although, you can do pretty much the exact same thing much quicker in AE with a shape layer with a wiggle paths modifier if you tweak it a bit. I mean, drawing a stroke is obviously faster, but previewing it and making changes when the client wants them is a lot easier in AE with the shape layer method.

But yeah, if OP really wants to have a filmstrip, the only way is old versions of the software. Other than drawing one line through the whole thing, Photoshop's new way of working makes things much faster to do, so hopefully the OP's needs are met even though they didn't know the new stuff existed.