8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 1:14 PM by tm.dsgn

about headturns and face behavior

powetri Level 1

Hi

I'm developing a  grey heron birdcharacter and everything works fine, draggables, dangles nutcracker jaw, keyboard tiggers etc.all great stuff.  But now  i want to apply some more  headpositions for simple headturns. But when i add them ( with all subparts the same order, naming and plusses(+) they seem to ignore  the face behavior as soon as the headturn behavior is triggered.

No eyeblinks or eyemovement , no smile or amazed functions, no eyebrow expressions.  When i now delete the main face behavior and add  face behaviors to each individual state of the headturn , this all works, but it only effects  the face (and it gets pretty distorted as well.)

And the body doesn't move along either, so it looks like now only the facemeshes  are being deformed.  So this does not seem to be the right solution. Am i missing something there?

Scene - Heron-Ricky.0000.png

• 1. Re: about headturns and face behavior
          oksamurai Employee Moderator

Wendigo from the example project is probably your best bet to see how to set up a head turn. http://adobe.ly/1OB0VQ6

In Preview 3, you have to manually add lip sync and head turn behaviors to each head - this will be easier and more automatic in Preview 4. This video might help too: https://youtu.be/H4J9tKuibVk?t=22m33s

If you're still having trouble, feel free to post your file here or DM it to me and I'll take a closer look!

• 2. Re: about headturns and face behavior
            powetri Level 1

Great.   I have now set the face behavior to the main character and to the two other positions i made. It works ok now. Sometimes there's only some strange distortion when he looks to the right . So i guess it's in the mesh somewhere  or in a wrong left- right naming issue.  Some mistake i must have made there.  I'll find out. The sytem is clear to me now.  Thanks

• 3. Re: about headturns and face behavior
              powetri Level 1

Wooot ! problem solved !  a simple typo in one of the headturns : Head BG instead of HeadBg

• 4. Re: about headturns and face behavior

Thanks for sending me the file, and yes, your changes seem right.

Ah yes, that's happened to me before too - if CH thinks it's found another Head you get some unwanted effects. For any non-canonical layers, I've started trying to always name them something descriptive but not conflicting, like skinBG. But this problem will be even easier to fix in the next release inside CH - stay tuned...

• 5. Re: about headturns and face behavior
                  tm.dsgn Level 1

Hi, guys. I'm having the same issues here. But with the +Mouth group. (I have one Group "+Mouth" on my "+Front" head, and another "+Mouth" group on my "+Side Right (1!)" ). And I already tried to rename the side one and the front one, and yet, the side right mouth doesn't work. And I tried to have just one group for both, with the "+Mouth" group outside the Front and Side group, but only the Front keeps the mouth working, it disappears on the Side.
                  Captura de Tela 2016-04-11 às 16.40.57.pngCaptura de Tela 2016-04-11 às 16.41.41.png
                  Any suggestions about how should I name the "+Mouth" Groups on the sides of my character heads?

• 6. Re: about headturns and face behavior

You should keep it named the same - +Mouth and the contents (Ah, D, Ee, etc) - but you will need to add a face and lip sync behavior to every view you want to be able to control with your face or voice. Select the appropriate group in the Puppet Panel, go to the + in Behaviors on the right, and add Face or Lip Sync there.

Download the example project linked in my first response - notice how many different face and mouth properties he has. Emulate that and you should be good to go.

• 7. Re: about headturns and face behavior
                      powetri Level 1

Indeed it is a good habit to look at the examples first. but yeah..  learning from my pigheaded mistakes has more longterm impact.

• 8. Re: about headturns and face behavior
                        tm.dsgn Level 1

Wow, thanks. It works perfectly. And you helped me understand many other stuff about behaviors that now I can figure out on my own while doing my characters, I'm just learning now how to animate and this Community has been so amazing. Thank you all so much.