5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2016 7:08 PM by Steve Grisetti

Can't insert any more clips into movie

stevenb46457203

I've inserted about 15 10-15 second HD video clips from different sources in making a movie, but it seems that I have reached the limit, as I cannot add any more media.  Have I maxed out the RAM on my computer?  Or is there another issue.  Also, when I tried creating a movie from the clips thus far, the video was very shaky.  Again, is this a problem with my computer or a glitch in the software?  Any guidance would be much appreciated.  Steve

• 1. Re: Can't insert any more clips into movie
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The program does not have a limit as to how many video files you can add to a project -- I've added hundreds of video clips -- but your computer might.

What processor do you have and with how much RAM? How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive?

What indicator do you see that makes you think you've maxed out the program?

• 2. Re: Can't insert any more clips into movie
            stevenb46457203 Level 1

Thanks for responding. Here are my system specifications

RAM 4.00 GB

Intel 1.7 GHz

64 bit operating system

11 GB free of 98 GB 

I am unable to load any more clips - simple will not load -the program is unresponsive.  Also, the video I made gets very fuzzy with movement.

• 3. Re: Can't insert any more clips into movie

Okay, 11 gigs of free space can be a problem. In fact, Windows can barely operate with less than 15 gigs of space.

I'd definitely recommend installing a larger hard drive -- or even a second hard drive for your media and project files. At least 500 gigabytes, which is a pretty standard size for drives nowadays. And, if you opt to install a second hard drive (which is relatively simple to do), I'd also clear off about 40-50 more gigs of space on that C drive. It will save you a lot of headaches and crashes in the future.

That said, I'm also a little concerned about your processor. You don't say which processor you have so I can't be sure how many cores it's running -- but this is looking very much like you're trying to edit video on a netbook. If that's the case, I'd highly recommend you reconsider and wait until you can get hold of a reasonably powered desktop. Editing video on a netbook is just asking for a world of heartache. Netbooks and Atom processors are really pretty much for, as the name implies, cruising the internet and checking e-mails exclusively.

• 4. Re: Can't insert any more clips into movie
                stevenb46457203 Level 1

Thank you.  Your explanation explains a Iot.  It looks like my computer is being overwhelmed by lack of RAM and hard drive space on slightly larger than usual moviemaking projects.

I have a Lenovo Think Pad – processor Intel (R) Core (TM.) i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70 Hz  1.70 Hz.  Do you think it is worthwhile to add a second hard drive or does it make more sense to just upgrade to a more powerful computer?

• 5. Re: Can't insert any more clips into movie

Thanks for telling me your processor. That i3 isn't a bad processor and your system may be able to handle some basic video editing with a larger hard drive.