4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 6:48 AM by johnc53954008

Catalogues or Collections?  Which is the correct / better way of organising a large library of images?

johnc53954008 Level 1

Hi all

I have decided to spend some time organising and creating a decent backup system for my personal iibrary of images which is approx 500Gig.

I have used CaptureOne for years but on doing research into the best software to use for this purpose decided to jump into using Lightroom.

I have now become reasonably confident with the basics of importing and creating Catalogues / Folders / Collections etc but there seems to be a slight divide on how people break down there images using these tools.

Some people recommend that this is done through creating multiple Catalogues ie Yearly or even per Job / Event as this prevents LR lagging under the strain of a large portfolio.   Others say to keep the Catalogues down to an absolute minimum and sort all projects by Collections instead.

I'm sure there is no absolute right and wrong and a lot is possibly down to personal preference but can I ask the Community if you would mind throwing some advantages and disadvantages for each method please?

Many thanks for any assistance

Cheers John

• 1. Re: Catalogues or Collections?  Which is the correct / better way of organising a large library of images?
          dj_paige Level 9

Some people recommend that this is done through creating multiple Catalogues ie Yearly or even per Job

This is a horrible idea that defeats the entire purpose of the Lightroom Library Module. Anyone recommending this needs to explain how it is better, because it is not better in any way, in my opinion.

If you have multiple catalogs, you cannot perform searches of your entire set of photos. You cannot find all photos with particular metadata, you can only find the photos with that metadata in that one catalog.

as this prevents LR lagging under the strain of a large portfolio

A problem that simply doesn't exist. People in this and other forums report catalogs of over 500,000 images working well.

Others say to keep the Catalogues down to an absolute minimum and sort all projects by Collections instead.

Most people I know (including most people in this forum that I have read) say to keep everything in one catalog. Use keywords and other metadata, not collections, as your primary organization tool. Smart Collections are used as a search mechanism (not a "sort" mechanism). Regular collections are used to group photos together for a specific task, such as creating a book, slideshow, web page, etc. (again not a "sort" mechanism.

• 2. Re: Catalogues or Collections?  Which is the correct / better way of organising a large library of images?
            JoeKostoss Level 4

As far as I am concerned there are only 2 rules to follow:

Rule #1 - Read what dj has just said above.

Rule #2 - If you feel an urgent need to create 2 or more catalogs, refer to rule #1.

• 3. Re: Catalogues or Collections?  Which is the correct / better way of organising a large library of images?
              dj_paige Level 9

Thanks, JoeKostoss

Yes, for 99% of people, one catalog is the way to go, but there are a few situations that even I agree there are valid reasons to have multiple catalogs. However the OP hasn't mentioned any of those valid reasons, and it sure sounds like he thinks multiple catalogs are the way to go to prevent "strain" on Lightroom, which as I said, is a problem that doesn't exist for normal and even very large sized catalogs. Maybe if you're getting close to 1,000,000 images, there might be a problem, I don't know, I haven't ever seen anyone state that they have 1,000,000 images. The OP doesn't have that many images, based on his 500 gig statement, so what happens at 1,000,000 images is irrelevant anyway.

--

Paige

• 4. Re: Catalogues or Collections?  Which is the correct / better way of organising a large library of images?
                johnc53954008 Level 1

Thanks for the input guys  Seems there is a right and a wrong way after all.

What you say about limiting the search facility in Lightroom by creating multiple catalogues makes perfect sense. Also like the idea of grouping using metadata rather than Collections.

Much appreciated - John