21 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 9:47 AM by huckwagon

Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier

huckwagon

My pictures get wavy when I bring them into a project.

They are clear on my computer, but whether it's elements of premier, they become wavy - grainy once I "get media"

This is the same when I create a slide show, and export to a DVD or my computer - it looks like the leaves are blowing - the water running.   HELP

• 1. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, have you resized your photos to no larger than 2500x1875 pixels in size (at 72 ppi))?

Also, have you rendered your timeline (by pressing the Enter key) to create clear previews as you add the photos to your timeline?

• 2. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
            huckwagon Level 1

I just tried those suggestions... Still get a weird wavy picture when added.   And tried to render - or I think I did.

I used to make these great videos using my picture.. now they are all strange.  I wonder about upgrading, maybe that is the problem - but why spend money if it will be the same. What changes?  Even in Elements it's weird

• 3. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier

Can you post a screen capture of what you're seeing?

If you've optimized the size of your photos and rendered your timeline, it should look pretty good. Well, depending on what you're looking at a photo of, of course. Fine lines and details (like miniblinds) can cause a moire effect -- but I don't think that's what you're describing. But we'll be able to tell when we see your screen shot.

Meantime, also right-click on your Monitor panel in Premiere Elements and set the quality level to maximum. That will improve things a bit also.

What do you mean you "think" you rendered? Did the yellow-orange render line along the top of the timeline turn green?

RenderLine.jpg

• 4. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
                huckwagon Level 1

Morning,

The picture is 1296* 728  (resized)  and for sure I did render..  I set the

quality to maximum.

So I attached the original picture.

And I'm trying to screen print the one from adobe, but am having problems.

I have pasted it into a word document and attached it too.

I have adobe elements and premiere  10.

They used to work fine, but now I get this wavy stuff.  In the video it's

like the water is running ...

I have a new wide screen tv..

and a new computer ..

I have no idea what program settings or presets to use.

Thanks for helping

Kristen

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 8:13 PM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier

You're saving the photo as a Word file and importing it into Premiere Elements? Am I misunderstanding? You're not trying to import a JPEG or a TIF?

• 6. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
                    huckwagon Level 1

No,

I spent today reading the threads about wavy pictures! That was back in

2012. So my problem isn't new.

I import my pictures, they are JPEG, into elements 10.

I have reduced them to be be in the 720p category, I have rendered them.

I've made a slid show and exporter to premiere 10 and/or just gone to

premiere 10 and created a new project, to make a video.

In any case, when previewing, the pictures become wavy, unclear, etc.  Just

like the thread I was reading today. I've with to a DVD, in case when

watching on TV it is better, but it isn't.

What project settings said I use NSTC 1080 ????.

Button line..

I used to take pictures, list then into elements 10, do nothing, make a

side site with transitions, effects, my music. Then export to premiere 10,

often times edit the music  .. Whatever, add DVD menu and write to disk.

Presto, beautiful sideshow/video of a 3 month back pack.

Now, it's awful with wavy, fuzzy, wavy pictures.

Something changed, and I'm about to give up trying to use Adobe.  There

must be some setting (s) to fix this.

ANY suggestions you add are welcome.

Very discouraged.

• 7. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier

Something is clearly going on that I'm not getting from your description.

The engine that creates slideshows from photos in Premiere Elements is exactly the same now as it was in version 10. It doesn't make sense that you're getting noticeably worse slideshows from the same photos. outputting them as the same mp4. (If you're saving your slideshows as an interlaced format, like an AVI or MPEG, that's a different issue.)

I just don't know what else to suggest -- other than right-clicking on each photo, selecting Field Options and setting Flicker Removal. Although this setting is less of an issue in current versions of the program than it used to be too, so I just don't know what you're seeing.

• 8. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
                        saurabha6421724 Level 1

Please post a screenshot to reproduce the issue...

-Saurabh

• 9. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
                          huckwagon Level 1

This is the picture I took:

This is the adobe picture

• 10. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier

Tell us more about the "Adobe picture".

Is this a screen shot of the Monitor panel in Premiere Elements or is this an output video? If it is an output video, what is the resolution and format of the video.

Is it an interlaced or progressive video?

Which program are you using the play this video?

• 11. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
                              huckwagon Level 1

The adobe picture is a "print Screen" of the monitor in full screen.

I have resized the picture in Elements (I'm using 14, as i thought that

might solve the problems).  I resized to 720.  I've also done this with

another picture that I cropped and resized to 559/498.  I have rendered

both pictures.

When I put the software in full screen and "play" the pictures are wavy,

blurry.

I've reverted to using Magix to create my slide shows and then video clips,

as the pictures remain clear and un wavy.  But then I decided to use

Premier 14 to make the menu for these clips.   I changed the background of

the menu's to reflect what the clips are about.  I resized and rendered

each picture.  They were awful when I brought them into Premier, so I

couldn't really use them. But, even using the menu option (pan and zoom) it

was bad when i put it into full screen.

There must be some settings I don't know about that do this.   Magix -

works fine so does Roxio..  But I like Adobe better.   I've tried to

compare settings etc.  But can't find anything that makes a difference.

I hope I've answered your questions

It's premiere 14 I'm using...  It's when I play/preview in full screen that

the pictures are wavy, blurry  -

I have a new HP computer..

Kristen

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 12. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
                                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the pixel size of your timeline settings

Is your resolution set to "full" in Premiere Elements?"

• 13. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier

What you see in the Monitor panel has no bearing on what your final output will look like.

Although, if you've rendered your timeline (press Enter) and you've right-clicked on the Monitor panel and set Quality to Highest, it can be very close.

Even still, what you see in the Monitor panel is NOT what you will see in your finished product, so comparing that to your original photo really isn't a fair comparison.

• 14. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
                                    huckwagon Level 1

I am not sure to be honest.   When I right click on a photo in the timeline

it says the aspect ration is 1.0

I have not found where I can set the resolution to full in Premiere

Elements.   I tried to find that on line, but never could.

I used nothing but adobe for years - and never had to do anything.  I'd

make the slide show in Elements, share to premier to edit the music and

burn.  I never did anything to the pictures etc.  I Don't know what

happened - or what settings need to be what.

• 15. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
                                      huckwagon Level 1

I've Rendered - set quality to high - and burned to disk.

The results, when viewed on the TV or computer are blurred, wavy etc..

Just like they are in Adobe when viewed in full screen.

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 6:50 PM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 16. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
                                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Post a screenshot of your project settings, export settings and

a photo in MediaInfo in tree view.

• 17. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier

I agree with Ann. We need more specifics to know what we're looking at.

If you've "burned to disk", did you burn a DVD or BluRay. There's a world of difference! BluRays have four times the resolution of DVDs!

What happens if you output a 1920x1080 MP4 and compare a screen shot from it to your photos, sized to 1920x1080 pixels? That would be a fair apples-to-apples comparison.

• 18. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
                                            huckwagon Level 1

Stay tuned,

I'm going to try and get specific about each phase and the media, settings

etc...

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 19. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
                                              huckwagon Level 1

This isn't easy for me, as I don't have the "knowledge" to answer all the

questions.

The problem I have is the pictures themselves "before" being made into a

video.  If they are blurry on the screen/preview before I burn a DVD disk,

they are still blurry/wavy in the video when watched on the TV.

I started by taking pictures from 2000, 2003,2005, etc.. up to current

times.  Including some new pictures taken with the camera;  I'd take 4

pictures, using L(46082592) M1(32641832), M2(19201080) and S(640360).

The plan was to see how they pictured in Premiere14.

All the pictures (except those taken at S(640*360) looked good - the old

pictures from 2000 up to today"s pictures.  I did not resize/render or

anything.  THEN I rendered and everyone of them turned blurry/wavy/moving.

I tested this out on many groups of pictures and when I didn't render

they looked good.

And then I tested some by upping the dpi or lowering the size.   The only

thing that made my clear pictures stay clear was NOT rendering.  By now you

realize I know very little about alot of things.   But I do know what looks

good.   I have no idea why - they just did.  It would be nice to understand

more.

The last thing I was going to try, but didn't because why mess with what is

working - and that Is not knowing what preset should be chosen.  It comes

up with AVCHD 1080P  but I do not have the knowledge to know whether I

should choose something else.  I really am trying to learn, and spend time

in the forum looking for information - sometimes it works, some times not.

I do appreciate that you have stayed with me as i struggle along..  If you

have more advise or hints or tips I'd be welcome to  hearing them.

Kristen

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 20. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier

As I said, you really need to do an apples to apples comparison.

Size your photo to 2500x1875 pixels and put it into a Premiere Elements project set up for 1920x1080 high-def video. Output it as a 1920x1080 MP4. (How you do that depends on which version of the program you're using.) Play this video in the free VLC Media Player. Pause it on your photo.

Then go back to your original photo and resize it to 1920x1080. Compare it to the 1920x1080 video. It should be virtually identical.

• 21. Re: Clear photos turn wavy when brought into Elements or Premier
                                                  huckwagon Level 1

Good Morning Steve,

I followed your instructions and it was all perfect.

So I followed them again and rendered the pictures and yet again, all was

perfect.

THANK YOU so very much

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 6:26 AM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>