6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2016 2:32 AM by audioboxer04

Quality loss in Lightroom when exporting from raw to jpeg

audioboxer04

I know this question has been asked numerous times on these forums, as well as other sites, but I have not found an answer to help my situation. I spend a lot of time editing .nef's (shooting with a Nikon D5300) and when I export it to .jpeg, I get dull flat photos. When I export, I use the sRGB color spacing and the quality up to 100%. I'm not resizing or sharpening. I've even imported the jpeg to do a side by side inside of LR to make sure what I'm seeing is correct, and you can definitely tell a difference. I just want people to see what I see inside of LR. Any and all help would be much appreciated!!

• 1. Re: Quality loss in Lightroom when exporting from raw to jpeg
          dj_paige Level 9

Is your monitor properly calibrated?

Show us a screen capture of your export dialog box settings.

Show us a screen capture of your edited photo in Lightroom.

Show us a screen capture of the photo outside of Lightroom, and be sure to state what software is used outside of Lightroom to view the photo.

• 2. Re: Quality loss in Lightroom when exporting from raw to jpeg
            audioboxer04 Level 1

This is a screen shot of the picture on the left inside Lightroom and then the one on the right is using Preview (Mac). I've also pulled the jpg on the right into Lightroom to see if it was just Preview making it look this way, but I could still see the difference in Lightroom. I can really tell in this picture in his eyes.
            Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 6.47.17 PM.png
            Here's a screen shot of the export box:
            Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 6.48.39 PM.png
            As for calibrating my screen. I'm not sure how to do all that. I am new to all this so the answer would be no I haven't.

Thank you for the help!!

• 3. Re: Quality loss in Lightroom when exporting from raw to jpeg
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The discrepancy is likely that the Fit zoom in LR is overly sharp compared to the actual JPG data.

Please zoom in to 1:1 (100%) in both LR and the Preview app, centered on the upper eye, to compare the real pixels, rather than what LR and Preview are using for the resample-to-fit algorithms which is what the screenshots show, now.

• 4. Re: Quality loss in Lightroom when exporting from raw to jpeg
                audioboxer04 Level 1

You are exactly correct ssprengel! So I typically edit on the fit view since I can see the entire image. But now I can see what you mean and I can see a difference between the preview in the Library vs the Develop tab. Is there a way to see the true image while developing? Why would they even do this?

• 5. Re: Quality loss in Lightroom when exporting from raw to jpeg
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are three types of sharpening you do in Lightroom:

1)  Capture Sharpening that do at the native resolution of the camera sensor, as specified in the Detail section of Develop module, to counteract the slight blurring of the anti-alias filter and the imperfect optics as well as the interpolation of 2 out of 3 colors at each pixel position.

2)  Creative Sharpening that you do to particular areas of an image also at the native resolution of the sensor.  This would be using an Adjustment Brush with sharpening loaded into it for areas that need a little more sharpening like eyes and lips and other important areas to give them a little more emphasis.

3)  Output Sharpening, specified during Export, after resizing down to the final output size.

The Develop Detail section is only capture sharpening, so you're not going to see the result of all three, especially not an export resized down, whenever you move a Develop Detail slider, which is what you're expecting to see using Fit zoom, but it would be much to slow to do an Export just to show sharpening at an arbitrary size of whatever Fit zoom is.  The Develop resampling to the Loup area is very fast and somewhat inaccurate as you have found.  Switching to Library is a bit more accurate because the preview is computed at slightly larger than the screen size then resized down to Fit view size.

If you notice in the Detail area, if you're not making the adjustments at 1:1 or 100% zoom, then there is an exclamation point at the top left that if you hover over, it suggests using 1:1.

• 6. Re: Quality loss in Lightroom when exporting from raw to jpeg
                    audioboxer04 Level 1

THank you very much for this description!! It really helps!!