11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2017 6:24 AM by mcollins323

create data source for microsoft access on 64 bit server and ColdFusion 16

HCR Level 1

Trying to migrate our Microsoft Access DB's to a new server running Microsoft Server 2012 and ColdFusion 16. I have been able to do this in the past using the 32 bit ODBC Data Source Administrator, but it doesn't seem to be working this time.

• 1. Re: create data source for microsoft access on 64 bit server and ColdFusion 16
          haxtbh Level 4

Access is no longer on the support matrix for Coldfusion so it maybe that it is no longer supported in 2016.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: create data source for microsoft access on 64 bit server and ColdFusion 16
            Vikram_k1810 Adobe Employee

Could you please let us know the error message you are getting while mapping the MS Access data source name?

Thanks,

Vikram

• 3. Re: create data source for microsoft access on 64 bit server and ColdFusion 16
              HCR Level 1

I received the following instructions from support and this has fixed my problem. Thanks.

Thank you for contacting Adobe ColdFusion support.

Please try the below instructions and let me know if it works:

Step 1: Uninstall any existing “Microsoft Access database engine 2010” from add\remove program.

Step2: Ensure that you don’t have any MS Access related data source defined in ColdFusion admin page(under Data Source).

Step 3: Ensure that you have removed all the DSN entries from odbc administrator(both 32 bit and 64 bit under system DSN).

64 bit odbc path: C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe

32 bit odbc path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

Step 4: Download and install 64 bit MS Access Database Engine from the link: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13255

Step 5: Once the installation is completed, you will have to define the DSN using 64 bit drivers.

Use 64 bit odbc path: C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe

Step 6:  Go to ColdFusion Admin page and map that DSN using MS Access drivers and verify.

• 4. Re: create data source for microsoft access on 64 bit server and ColdFusion 16
                elliottr33939969 Level 1

I keep getting the error: "

The ColdFusion ODBC Server service is not running or has not been installed.You may also use the "MS Access with Unicode" driver to connect to MS Access datasources"

I have tried the above solution but the error persists.

• 5. Re: create data source for microsoft access on 64 bit server and ColdFusion 16
                  plarts Level 1

Hello HCR,

I am in the same situation,

with CF16, I cannot declare the Access datasource used before Under CF11.

So, I followed step by step the support instructions, (installing AccessDatabaseEngine_X64.exe),

I am on a Windows 10 64bits, CF16 64bits,

And the result is the same : failed.

Could Adobe support advise, what to do ?

Any suggestion, help.

for the moment, CF16 is unusable.

Thansk a lot

• 6. Re: create data source for microsoft access on 64 bit server and ColdFusion 16
                    halbob Level 1

Plarts,

I also installed CF16 over Server 2016 this past few days.  I have tried the suggested workaround for the earlier editions mentioned in original posting.   I actually tried about 5 different configurations from other postings found on Google.  None worked.

When I try to submit the data connector, the area is greyed out and no successful submission.  The database connector does show a database entry after cancelling the process. but when tested the standard error message pops up.

In closing, I downloaded SQL Express which is free and have begun the migration process.  I spent way too many hours with the 6 possible solutions found.

• 7. Re: create data source for microsoft access on 64 bit server and ColdFusion 16
                      plarts Level 1

I wait a CF11 key from Adobe.

I do not understand what happens between CF11 and CF16 for this feature less.

I cannot migrate to another database,

I use 5 different Access databases in the application.

Very flexible to copy and replace when necessary in the application.

And it will take too much time to convert to another database and review the full architecture of the system functions.

6 months of work.

Also in the CF16 product page, it is said that it works with Access database.

https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/configuring-administering/administering-coldfusion.htmlpage_cf_admin.jpg

Thanks for any help and suggestion.

Pierre.

• 8. Re: create data source for microsoft access on 64 bit server and ColdFusion 16
                        halbob Level 1

HCR, quick question, which series of Access drivers did you install, 2010 or 2016?  Of those, did you use 32 or 64 bit?

I ask as I tried default no installed drivers using SYSWOW6432 and then iterations of 2010 and 2016 drivers.  I could not initiate a handshake with the drivers while performing an online test of our CF2016 trial and MS 2016 Server using IIS 10. 

I was able to get the HXTT drivers installed successfully. In a separate post, I described lingering issues with connectivity.

HXTT driver setup (HXTT MS Access JDBC Drivers )  Click on "Download directly JDBC 3.0 trial". It is a zip file

Download the zip file, extract  Access_JDBC30.jar

Drop the file in [cf_root]lib file.

Restart CF Server

Open CF Admin and go to DataSource. 

CF Data Source Name (your data name)

JDBC URL: jdbc:access:/(your_data_drive,eg:C:)/your_data_file.mdb

Driver Class com.hxtt.sql.access.AccessDriver

Driver Name com.hxtt.sql.access.AccessDriver

Click Submit

• 9. Re: create data source for microsoft access on 64 bit server and ColdFusion 16
                          mcollins323 Level 1

Just an FYI

I got it to work with CF2016

I just made sure all my odbc definitions were removed.

Installed the 64 bit version of the Access Engine

Defined my odbc in the odbcad32 as describe above

Then went to CFadmin and defined it

CF reports

• data source updated successfully.

I then ran this test sql and it worked just fined.

<cfquery name="check" datasource="testaccess">

SELECT now() AS dt           

</cfquery>

<cfdump var="#check#">

No need to event restart CF even.

HTH

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: create data source for microsoft access on 64 bit server and ColdFusion 16
                            plarts Level 1

Hi, thanks for info,

I tried this, with no success.

- I removed all ODBC declaration (32 and 64 bits)

- I dropped the Access_JDBC30.jar file in : c:/coldfusion16/cfusion/lib

- I declared the CF datasource as follow :

- name : test_16

- Driver : other

Then :

- datasource name : test_16

- JDBC URL : jdbc:access:/C:/ColdFusion2016/cfusion/wwwroot/test/site_user.mdb

- Driver Class : com.hxtt.sql.access.AccessDriver

- Driver Name : com.hxtt.sql.access.AccessDriver

When accessing the datasource with a CFM query

And I get the error :

Error Executing Database Query :

No suitable driver available for test_16, please check the driver setting in resources file,

error: com.hxtt.sql.access.AccessDriver 

In CFAdmin, when submitting the datasurce, I get the yellow error message :

Connection verification failed for data source: test_16

java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver available for test_16, please check the driver setting in resources file, error: com.hxtt.sql.access.AccessDriver

The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver available for test_16, please check the driver setting in resources file, error: com.hxtt.sql.access.AccessDriver

Could you tell me where could be the problem in my datasource declaration ?

Is the driver setting : other or access driver ?

Thanks for help.

Pierre.

• 11. Re: create data source for microsoft access on 64 bit server and ColdFusion 16
                              mcollins323 Level 1

All,

To follow up:

I did not remove anything when I did my setup.  I was prepared to if I got the error but wanted to just try without removing anything.

Also - when I tried setting up on a more secure 2012 server running 2016 Updater3, it did not work, Cfadmin would not connect and the sql would not run.  So we went to 2016 Updater5 restarted CF APP service and ODBC Services and it worked!  CFadmin was able to connect and the test sql worked fine. 

HTH