10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 8:08 AM by JimHess

Paying Twice

garyd68635075 Level 1

I have the standalone version LR 6.5 which I use with Photoshop CS5. As I now have cameras whose RAW files are not recognised I have reluctantly decided to go for the photography bundle subscription. It would seem that the CC version of LR is a different product, however I can't help feeling  that I'm having to pay twice for essentially same piece of software.

• 1. Re: Paying Twice
          dj_paige Level 9

The only cameras that LR 6.5 won't recognize are cameras that are newly released after Lightroom 6.5 was released. Which is very very few.

Furthermore, LR CC has the same list of cameras supported. In other words, if the camera won't be rcognized in LR 6.5, then it won't be recognized in LR CC 2015 either.

Nevertheless, I believe your problem most likely has a simple answer, if you would just tell us the problem. Exactly what do you mean "RAW files are not recognized"? Exactly what step are you at in Lightroom when this "not recognized" happens? Describe what happens that indicates the camera is "not recognized"? Exactly what is the word-for-word verbatim error message?

• 2. Re: Paying Twice
            garyd68635075 Level 1

I do basic and lens corrections in LR6.5 but it won't then allow me to continue editing RAW images in PS CS5. My Nikon D5300 is not recognised.

• 3. Re: Paying Twice
              garyd68635075 Level 1

Could not complete your request because the file appears to be from a camera model which is not supported by the installed version of Camera Raw.

• 4. Re: Paying Twice
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Photoshop CS5 will never support that camera. There is no version of camera raw that can be added to that version of Photoshop that would provide the support. So you need to choose the option to let Lightroom create a copy with Lightroom adjustments and send that copy to Photoshop. In reality, even when Photoshop does support the camera, by the time the image is opened in Photoshop it is not raw data anymore. It has been converted to Editable image data. Photoshop, by itself, cannot edit raw image data.. If you want to work on the raw files using Photoshop you could use the DNG converter provided free from Adobe. But even then by the time the DNG file is opened in Photoshop it is no longer raw data.

So there would be no point for you to switch to the creative cloud. It would change how Lightroom works in your situation.

• 5. Re: Paying Twice
                  Alfred Pennyworth Level 4

D5300 has been supported from LR 5.3. Have you used Nikon transfer to get the files onto your computer by any chance, as this will corrupt the raw files!

• 6. Re: Paying Twice
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your CS5 cannot open the D5300 NEFs.  Both LR 6.5 or LR CC 2015.5 can since they are the same piece of software with features hidden if you have the 6.x version.

If you have a CC subscription you can use PS CC instead of PS CS5 to open your D5300 images.

• 7. Re: Paying Twice
                      garyd68635075 Level 1

Thanks for the advice. I'm aware that CS5 is too old to work with RAW files the latest cameras. My issue is having paid for LR6, that I'm having to buy it again as the CC version.

• 8. Re: Paying Twice

So what do you think you will accomplish by switching to Lightroom CC? What do you think you will gain over what you can do now?

• 9. Re: Paying Twice
                          garyd68635075 Level 1

I will be able to edit RAW images in Photoshop from my D5300 and D500.

• 10. Re: Paying Twice

Lightroom CC 2015.5 and Lightroom 6.5 support precisely the same images. You won't have any additional Lightroom support by subscribing to the creative cloud. What you will gain is being able to install Photoshop CC 2015. Then you will have access to the latest version of camera raw. In that case, the saving of the TIF or PSD file will be postponed to the end of a Photoshop session. But even then, when the image is opened in Photoshop from Lightroom or from Camera Raw, you are no longer working on raw image data. The image has to be converted before Photoshop can open the file.