You probably need to group the type and the shape you've placed the type into. Then place the grouped object into the graphic cell.
you are right.
One cannot paste text frames inside of a container frame of a graphic cell.
I think, this is a bug.
Group the text frame with a rectangle, cut the group and paste the group inside.
1. One cannot convert a rectangle pasted inside the container frame of a graphic cell to a text frame.
2. If a grouped text frame is pasted inside the container frame of a graphic cell and the text is overset, one cannot thread the overset text to a new text frame.
Another note on this case:
By script one can easily add a single text frame to the container frame of a graphic cell without using a group.
However, if you try to duplicate the text frame holding the table, InDesign CC 2015.3 will crash.
InDesign will also crash when using a group pasted inside the container frame of the graphic cell in case you duplicate the text frame holding the table.
Just tested with InDesign CC 2015.3 on OSX 10.10.3.
I tested on and there were more crashes.
Try one of the items in the list:
1. Duplicate the text frame holding the table
2. Copy/paste the text frame holding the table
3. Duplicate the character representing the table
4. Copy/paste the character representing the table
5. Duplicate the page holding the table
6. Try one of the above by scripting
=> InDesign CC 2015.3 will crash immediately.
For duplicating such a table I found a workaround:
Copy/paste selected cells to a table.
So currently it seems that bringing text frames inside of graphic cells is absolutely not a good idea.
Instead use anchored text frames in text cells.
Thank you that solve the problem, yet I am surprised that the graphic cells dont accept any graphic once you add text inside it, the sole purpose of why I need a text inside a graphic inside a graphic cell is to format the table with nice looking graphics which will stay dynamic in size each time I added more copy. grouping will do till adobe solve it. Thank you
can you confirm any of the crashes I had after duplicating a page containing such a table?
Or any of the other scenarios I mentioned?
What is your operating system version?
Currently I can only test on Mac OSX 10.10.3.
Hi, Yes its crashing on copy paste on other page, duplicate page or any other method to get this table another copy, even coping the table to the same page!!
I already filed a bug report on this.
You should do as well:
As far as I can see, there is no way to safely make a duplicate of such a table but:
1. Add another table, make sure that the number of columns and rows is at least the the same value as in the original one.
2. Select all cells in the original table.
3. Copy/paste all cells to the new table.
4. Adjust columns width and row height according the original one.
But that would not prevent a crash when a page with such a table is duplicated.
That is leading to the conclusion to work entirely on text based cells where you can anchor images (or other objects, groups etc…), text frames, type in text as well and entirely dismiss graphic cells for that purpose. At least for now until this bug is resolved.