4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2016 6:55 AM by whsprague

How to share and keep photos safe from deletion on same PC?

jranaudo

On a single windows PC with multiple users how does one accomplish the following?

1. Allow the main user the ability to have full control over the images on the PC and the catalog BUT be protected against accidental deletion/moving using the windows folder explorer.
      2. Allow other users on the same machine the ability to view the pictures using simple native windows viewer BUT ALSO be protected against them deleting or moving any files around.

Here are some examples I would like to protect from.

• Wife got into machine and accidentally moved 1999 folder into 2000 folder thus she couldn't find it.
      • Child deleted folder (when this happens unless its a top level folder how does one even know????)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

• 1. Re: How to share and keep photos safe from deletion on same PC?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

You'd use Windows permissions to accomplish this.  The main user would have full control over the root Pictures folder, while the other users would only have read access.

Let us know if you're interested in this approach, and we can provide the mechanics of setting this up.

• 2. Re: How to share and keep photos safe from deletion on same PC?
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

jranaudo wrote:

On a single windows PC with multiple users how does one accomplish the following?

1. Allow the main user the ability to have full control over the images on the PC and the catalog BUT be protected against accidental deletion/moving using the windows folder explorer.
            2. Allow other users on the same machine the ability to view the pictures using simple native windows viewer BUT ALSO be protected against them deleting or moving any files around.

Here are some examples I would like to protect from.

• Wife got into machine and accidentally moved 1999 folder into 2000 folder thus she couldn't find it.
            • Child deleted folder (when this happens unless its a top level folder how does one even know????)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

1. You can't have both Full Control and Restrict that User from Moving or Deleting a file.

2. Place your images in your UserName folder and only give Read permissions to other users.

3. Buy another computer for the rest of the household.

• 3. Re: How to share and keep photos safe from deletion on same PC?
              Jasper02

If I create a "look but don't touch" photo archive on my local PC I actually revoke all write permissions for that folder and all child objects, even for the Administrators group. I keep the "Take ownership" and "Change Permissions" flag set so I can always change it later in case I want to change something in the archive. I originally started doing this after finding out that an application destroyed the meta data of my photos after doing a rotate, so it not only protects you or other people from accidentally damaging the files in your archive but also applications from doing so. Another thing it forces everyone to do is saving edited files somewhere else and not polluting your archive. I would suggest though you never store a photo archive on one hard drive only and make backups as well.

• 4. Re: How to share and keep photos safe from deletion on same PC?
                whsprague Level 4

Another approach.....

Put your image files on an external drive with your catalog file.  Give the catalog file a unique name so your family understands to kepp out.  Keep a back up of all that on a second external drive.  Many say a third copy is good idea.

When you're done working on your catalog, close it and put your drive somewhere.  Then open the "family catalog" so when LR opens on the family computer, the family sees that instead of yours.

LR will probably slow down a little because of access to the catalog on the external drive.  Depending on your hardware, it may not be significant.