2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2016 12:04 AM by Grahto

Mouse Cursor causes video to disappear

Grahto Level 1

Hey all, I've been having this problem on and off for several days now. Usually I fixed it by either closing and relaunching After Effects, or, at absolute worst, restarting my PC. As of today, I have been unable to work due to this frustrating problem.

In short, I'm working on a short film that I shot, and every time I work now, if my mouse cursor leaves the Composition/Preview screen, it goes blank. It's not just this project, it's every project. It's kind of a hard one to explain as well, so I took a little video on the camera of my phone and uploaded it to Vimeo. This may give a better idea of what's happening.

Adobe After Effects Problem on Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/162470740/6fbbaaead2

As I explained in the video, all my drivers are up to date, and windows 10 is up to date. I'm not having any other issues with my graphics cards, I use a lot of graphic-heavy software on my PC and experience no problems at all.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give! =)

• 1. Re: Mouse Cursor causes video to disappear
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, huge resolution? Multiple comp views? I could well imagine some hardware acceleration issues, but without exact system info it's impossible to judge.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Mouse Cursor causes video to disappear
            Grahto Level 1

Sorry about that, I didn't know if system info was important as everything's been running fine up until a week or so ago, I was just hoping it was a bug someone else had experienced that may have had an easy fix.

It's not a top of the range PC, it's a couple years old but never given me any grief. This is the 2nd time I'm editing this project, due to a deadline needing to be met when it was originally shot, I'm now re-editing the effects because I no longer have a deadline (it was originally a film school project), so the only way it would be a hardware is if the hardware was faulty, because the last time I edited the project, I didn't have this issue. But if it was a hardware issue - like my graphics card - I figured I would be having problems or experiencing bugs with other programs as well.... But this is literally the only odd thing that's happening on my computer at the moment. As far as I can tell, everything else is running completely as it should be.

The screen resolutions are 1080p on two 32"monitors (one connected by HDMI, the other by VGA), the footage I'm working with is 4K Pro Res, but the project is 2K. Shot on a Sony a7s with a Atomos Shogun Recorder (don't know if it's relevant, but trying to give as much detail about my system and project as possible).

Processor: AMD A10 6700 Quad Core 3.70ghz

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8570 2GB

RAM: 16GB DDR3

System: Windows 10 Home

2TB internal HDD with 3x4TB externals connected via USB3.0

Let me know if I missed anything out or you need anymore info. Thanks