3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2016 6:40 AM by winterm

break apart

muratz07 Level 1

Hello to everyone.

In corel draw, there is an option named "break apart". With it, you can seperate a paragraph into apart sentences. Also you can do it on sentences or words. At last you can have seperated letters. This tool is great in use. Especially while designing typographic  - artistic stuff.

It was also not in Illustrator. But i found an indirect way to make it in Illustrator and shared it with community. ( flatten transparency )

Do you know any way to do this in Indesign? If not, may be the developers start to think on it.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: break apart
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since I'd consider that a narrow feature, it's not something that would probably be implemented in InDesign itself. If there were interest, someone would probably create a script to do that and make it available for users. InDesign is highly scriptable.

• 2. Re: break apart
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For special typographic effects you can select the text and convert it to outlines (Type>Create Outlines) followed by releasing the compound paths (Object>Paths>Release Compound Paths) if you want the characters to be individual objects. Letters with counters will have to be reset to compounds via Pathfinder's Subtract. So:

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 8.29.08 AM.png

Can be converted to

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 8.30.07 AM.png

• 3. Re: break apart
              winterm Level 4

Steve Werner wrote:

... someone would probably create a script to do that ...

At least, THERE IS already a javascript, that splits text frame to separate text frames, each for one line.

Written by Chinnadk in 2014.

Edit:

Ah, I even found a thread about it