4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2016 8:17 AM by Rick Gerard

What is the different between Adobe After Effects and Adobe Animate?

aldoc22569958 Level 1

I want to start animating photos : Animated GIFs and cinema graphs - which is the best program to do this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: What is the different between Adobe After Effects and Adobe Animate?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are apps and cameras designed specifically for cinema graphs that are a zillion times easier to use than After Effects. AE is a full featured visual effects and compositing application specifically engineered to help visual effects and motion graphics artists create effects shots and short sequences to be used in the production films. After Effects will render video with is not interactive.

Above Animate CC is designed to produce interactive web based content that is displayed and viewed on a web browser or inside a web based app.

Both products have a long learning curve. If you want more interactivity than play and stop then you need to learn Animate CC. If you just want to create Cinemagraphs then the easiest thing to do is download an app for a smart phone with a good camera. You can use AE to composite together Cinemagraphs, render them to movies and then use Photoshop to turn the movies into animated gifs which is the only format that I know for a cinemagraph. Animate CC is not as well suited to creating composites from photographs. You could also do all of the work of creating most of the Cinemagraphs that I have seen directly in Phosothop.

I hope this helps. If I were playing around with this funky new format I'd just use my iPhone. The production time in AE may not be worth the effort required even for an expert.

• 2. Re: What is the different between Adobe After Effects and Adobe Animate?
            aldoc22569958 Level 1

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your thorough answer.  If I wanted to create something like the work seen on Julien Douvier, do you think this could be achieved with a phone app?

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: What is the different between Adobe After Effects and Adobe Animate?
              aldoc22569958 Level 1

I particularly want to do something like multiplying a person walking in to a building - similar the attached image.  Do you recognise the software being used here?

ThanksScreen-Shot-2016-04-12-at-13.47.17.jpg

• 4. Re: What is the different between Adobe After Effects and Adobe Animate?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not recognize that software but you can do that kind of thing in AE using layers and keyframes. Expect to spend a few weeks wrapping your head around the interface and the techniques of compositing. If the images are all hand drawn then you can also do that in Animate CC but you end up with a completely different product in the end.