5 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2006 8:33 AM by Newsgroup_User

important flash question

pleaseanswer
      I am trying to design a presentation for work. I need it to be a static presentation that I can interact with. For example, I don't want to have to press PLAY and have it be in the form of a movie. I want to be able to press "buttons" to get to other parts of the presentation. It should be like how you interact with a website. Is this possible? Or do I need to use a different program?
        • 1. Re: important flash question
          Level 7
          Flash is the perfect tool for this - no need for other tools. But you contradict yourself a few
          times so hard to discern what you are after.

"I need it to be a static presentation that I can interact with."
          Those are 2 opposite statements - something that is "static" in the true sense, is non-interactive.

"I don't want to have to press PLAY and have it be in the form of a movie."
          What does that mean exactly? You want a movie that simply plays when launched but don't want it to
          be a movie? Flash plays by default unless you use a stop(); action to tell it to stop.

"It should be like how you interact with a website."
          Flash is used to make websites. That said, you simply need to read the help docs to become familiar
          with Flash. Check out the lessons on making buttons. Play with flash and symbols, timelines,
          etc...What is your skill level already? How much detail do you need us to provide?

--> Adobe Certified Expert *ACE*
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

pleaseanswer wrote:
          > I am trying to design a presentation for work. I need it to be a static
          > presentation that I can interact with. For example, I don't want to have to
          > press PLAY and have it be in the form of a movie. I want to be able to press
          > "buttons" to get to other parts of the presentation. It should be like how you
          > interact with a website. Is this possible? Or do I need to use a different
          > program?
          >
          • 2. Re: important flash question
            pleaseanswer Level 1
            Thank you for your response Chris. I think I asked my question in a confusing way, let me clear it up. I understand how to make a flash animation and how to make buttons. I am not looking to make a website. I need to make a presentation. However, my presentation is not in a form of a movie where everything would be moving. When I say static I mean it would open as a website would open (a website is not in motion unless the user presses "buttons" to interact with it). I would want to be able to click within the presentation to show different pages with information and pictures on it.

I have taken a basic flash class where we learned how to create character animations and buttons. I need my presentation be still images unless the user interacts with it.

• 3. Re: important flash question
              Rothrock Level 5
              The silence between notes is part of the music as well.

So the answer is yes, it is possible. And Flash would be quite good at this.
              • 4. Re: important flash question
                Level 7
                I see now - i make many of these presentations - usually i am asked to take a pre-existing
                powerpoint file and turn it into a flash movie.
                Since you know enough flash to animate and make buttons, what part of the presentation process do
                you need to know how to do? You just need to have a series of stop actions and buttons that use
                simple gotoAndPlay either onRelease or key command.

pleaseanswer wrote:
                > Thank you for your response Chris. I think I asked my question in a confusing
                > way, let me clear it up. I understand how to make a flash animation and how to
                > make buttons. I am not looking to make a website. I need to make a
                > presentation. However, my presentation is not in a form of a movie where
                > everything would be moving. When I say static I mean it would open as a website
                > would open (a website is not in motion unless the user presses "buttons" to
                > interact with it). I would want to be able to click within the presentation to
                > show different pages with information and pictures on it.
                >
                > I have taken a basic flash class where we learned how to create character
                > animations and buttons. I need my presentation be still images unless the user
                > interacts with it.
                >
                >
                >
                • 5. Re: important flash question
                  Level 7
                  > The silence between notes is part of the music as well.

Exemplified to the extreme in John Cage's notorious 4'33".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%B233%E2%80%B3

David
                  stiller (at) quip (dot) net
                  Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
                  "Luck is the residue of good design."