4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2016 8:41 AM by SJRiegel

Change Old Document Language

tchalley

Hello,

I have an older InDesign document in English: USA and would like to change all the current text over to Spanish.  I have tried selecting the text box and text alone and changing the Language (in the Character Window) from English to Spanish but it doesn't change the text.  I have also tried the Find/Replace and tried to change the language but I am still seeing English.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Change Old Document Language
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You have to translate it and write the Castellan text yourself. The language in the Character properies is only responsible for spell checking and hyphenation. If your text is English your Pargraph style should be set up as English US, if your language is Castellan you have to set it up as Spanish.

• 2. Re: Change Old Document Language
            tchalley Level 1

Thank you.  I was hoping there was a quick fix without me translating and writing everything again.

• 3. Re: Change Old Document Language
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

InDesign is not a translation application, and to be honest, automatic translations are horrible. Even here with Adobe with human translators we have often funny results in German in the program commands.

• 4. Re: Change Old Document Language
                SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Machine translation, while it is available from some sources, should never be relied upon for anything other than gaining a rough understanding of a foreign-to-you text means. 

If you have ever use the Translate button on the forum to read posts that are in languages other than your own, you will see that grammar and sentence structure can get mangled, and sometimes the result is not even understandable.

It takes a person reading and understanding the original text to properly rephrase it in the new language. It's not just converting words.