7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2016 10:10 AM by rob day

Can you save PDF settings in a print preset?

ghost650

Is there a way to specify the PDF settings that should be used in a print preset?

We prep print-ready PDFs by printing as a booklet. There are print presets set up to output said PDFs at the appropriate size and settings depending on the document or printer. However, it would be helpful to also build in the PDF preset that should be used when creating print-ready PDFs.

• 1. Re: Can you save PDF settings in a print preset?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
          1. You should never use any kind with postscript in an InDesign document. So you should not use to create a PDF with print or Distiller.
          2. Imposing is the job o the printer company, not the job of the layouter.
          3. Print booklet is a mess. I cannot recommend the use of this functionality in InDesign. This is not only my humble opinion, this is the same statement as Adobe staff which is involved in program development declares here: Imposed PDF with InDesign CC
          4. If you need to print some sheets on your kitchen & bathroom printer (or the noise producer on your desktop), use print booklet in Adobe Acrobat.
          5. If you are a printer, buy dedicated imposing software or plugins for Acrobat, as this is the only way to do it professional.

As normal layouters you don't have the basic information which is needed to make imposed documents. Your task is to export PDFs with bleed and all settings you get from the printer as single pages. That is much easier than doing it yourself. If your printer does require pre-imposed documents, another printer will be glad to do the job in the correct way.

• 2. Re: Can you save PDF settings in a print preset?
            ghost650 Level 1

These are booklets being printed at our internal printing department. Materials we print externally we supply packaged source files, but internally we prepare print-ready files that are ready to be loaded into our digital printers.

• 3. Re: Can you save PDF settings in a print preset?
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is there a way to specify the PDF settings that should be used in a print preset?

To get Print Booklet to work you should be using the Adobe PDF 9.0 PPD and distilling the saved .ps file. You set the desired PDF joboptions in Distiller, keeping in mind that distilling a .ps file flattens transparency, which is why most users Export PDFs. In Distiller you can setup a watched folder with the desired PDF joboptions assigned to it—.ps files added to a watched folder are automatically converted to PDF using those options

Here's the PPD if you don't have it. To install copy it to a folder inside of your InDesign Presets folder named PPDs (the folder is case sensitive)

Adobe PDF 9.0 PPD

• 4. Re: Can you save PDF settings in a print preset?
                Brian Pylant Level 1

Print booklet is a mess. I cannot recommend the use of this functionality in InDesign. This is not only my humble opinion, this is the same statement as Adobe staff which is involved in program development declares here: Imposed PDF with InDesign CC

Which leaves many of us befuddled as to why a.) Print Booklet is still in there, if it's so poor, and b.) why they haven't given us the ability to export an imposed booklet PDF. It's not like users who both create and output are a teeny tiny minority, and designing in printers spreads can be a PITA especially with longer documents.

• 5. Re: Can you save PDF settings in a print preset?
                  ghost650 Level 1

Hey Rob, I just looked into your solution and it looks like this might be a solution for Mac OS systems. Is that correct? We're actually all using PCs so this doesn't quite solve my issue (I think).

To clarify, I'd like to be able to automate the selection of PDF settings (joboptions) when certain print presets are selected. This is to simplify/expedite the print-file creation process for non-designers who regularly update our materials.

• 6. Re: Can you save PDF settings in a print preset?

You should be able to use the PPD and Distiller's watched folders cross platform, but you are right I'm using OSX.

• 7. Re: Can you save PDF settings in a print preset?

a.) Print Booklet is still in there, if it's so poor

Not that it means much (there are many variables), but I can't see any problems printing to my printers or distilling .ps via the Acrobat PPD, so if there is a bug it would be helpful to know what the bug is. The 2 tiered dialog is complex, so there are lots of places to enter a wrong setting—but that doesn't mean it's broken.

b.) why they haven't given us the ability to export an imposed booklet PDF

I think it's like trapping, you don't want to apply it in the page layout for a specific device—trapping and imposition should happen a print time not at export. So there's a booklet feature in AcrobatPro where the PDF will actually be printed.