6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2006 8:24 AM by spdorsey6969

Adding controls to FLV video

spdorsey6969 Level 1
      Hello

I have a .flv file that I need to drop into a Flash file and export as a .swf. It needs controls (pause/play etc). I tried the tutorial in the help section, and it didn;t work. Does anyone out there know of a good tutorial for:

- Creating a new Flash file
      - Adding my .flv
      - Adding controls funtionality
      - Exporting to a .swf for use on a web page

Please keep in mind that I am a Flash novice.

Thanks,

-----------------S
        • 1. Re: Adding controls to FLV video
          Level 7
          The help docs clearly explain how to do this using the media compnents - the fact that it din't work
          doesn't mean you won't be able to follow anyone else's tutorial. The devnet site is filled with very
          well written and specific flash video articles - just search - google is also your friend and search
          this forum - this has been asked/discussed several times.

You want to search the help docs for the Media Display component.

--> Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
          --> www.mudbubble.com :: www.keyframer.com
          --> http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?
          --> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/animation_guide.html
          --> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

spdorsey wrote:
          > Hello
          >
          > I have a .flv file that I need to drop into a Flash file and export as a
          > .swf. It needs controls (pause/play etc). I tried the tutorial in the help
          > section, and it didn;t work. Does anyone out there know of a good tutorial for:
          >
          > - Creating a new Flash file
          > - Adding my .flv
          > - Adding controls funtionality
          > - Exporting to a .swf for use on a web page
          >
          > Please keep in mind that I am a Flash novice.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > -----------------S
          >
          • 2. Re: Adding controls to FLV video
            Rothrock Level 5
            gotoAndLearn.com has a great 8-part tutorial to making your own player using the NetStream class. The good thing about this approach is that the components add something like 80K to your file, whereas the self coded one will be much much smaller.
            • 3. Re: Adding controls to FLV video
              spdorsey6969 Level 1
              Is there any trick to maintaining Flash 7 functionality - so that my movie will be viewable to the widest possible audience?

I've tried the help docs, and they only teach the process for creating Flash 8 compatible video. I'd like to use Flash 7 compatible, removing the need for my audience to download a new Flash player.

Thanks,

----------------------S
              • 4. Re: Adding controls to FLV video
                Rothrock Level 5
                Only use the Flash 7 components or the NetStream class.

Encode your FLV with the spark codec not the OnV2 (or whatever the letters/numbers for that are.)

Publish settings change to be Flash 7. You will get warnings if you try and publish with any Flash 8 classes.
                • 5. Re: Adding controls to FLV video
                  spdorsey6969 Level 1
                  > Only use the Flash 7 components or the NetStream class.

I'll look into that - I was hoping for a "wizard" or tutorial, as I am not an actionscripter. I don't know what netstream class is.

I like the way that you can import a Flash video, pick a controls skin, and export to swf as an encapsulated movie (which is what I want to do). But that's the "Flash 8 only" option.

Thanks again
                  • 6. Re: Adding controls to FLV video
                    spdorsey6969 Level 1
                    OK - I think I got it working.

If I want to play back Flash 7 (mx 2004) video using Flash 8, I need to do this:

- Open a new Flash doc
                    - Go to Publish Settings and select "Flash 7" from the version menu under the "Flash" tab
                    - Import the video to the stage, choose progressive download
                    - Don't select any controller while importing

The movie imports with a white box, and the "media playback" item appears in the library. When I export my .swf file, it has a white-bordered controller around the video which is annoying in the respect that it increases the width of my swf, but it's not too ugly. The controls expand down when you mouse over them, so I had to match the background of the flash file to the background of my HTML page in order to not create an odd-colored box below the video frame.

I hope this helps anyone who searches for this topic in the forums!

Thanks all for your help

---------------------S