9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2016 3:31 AM by sie j

Trim,Bleed Dimensions

sie j

I need help setting up a document for a half page ad, dimensions Must include crop marks and bleed area. Trim Dimensions: 8 1/4"W x 5 1/2"H; Bleed Dimensions: 8 5/8"W x 6"H, can someone help me set up and take a screen shot of this? It's a rookie thing, I know but so am I :-(

I am particularly confused by the bleed having different width and height dimensions, as I know it, they ought to be the same all through.

The common 0.025, someone help! URGENT.

• 1. Re: Trim,Bleed Dimensions
          Derek Cross Level 6

Is your design for this half-page landscape advertisement going to include image(s) that bleed? If not you don't need to add bleed dimensions.

If it does have images that bleed, do you know if the ad will occupy the top or the bottom of the page and whether it will be on a right hand or left hand page?

• 2. Re: Trim,Bleed Dimensions
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

File > New Document …

Set up with your dimensions, non facing pages.

Expand the dialog and insert the bleed value. Bleed is in your case: left & right (8 5/8 – 8 1/4)/2 and top & bottom (6 – 5 1/2)/2 those results insert in the dialog.

• 3. Re: Trim,Bleed Dimensions
              sie j Level 1

Thank you for your quick response Derek,

Unfortunately, I am not experienced enough so I never asked the right questions regards the positioning of this add on the page. It will not include images though,

either way however, it would e nice to know how to set up dimensions in that particular way for when I need to borrow the same knowledge for another task in future. Being as I am an amateur at in-design (I am much more skilled at illustrator), a set up screen shot would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Trim,Bleed Dimensions
                sie j Level 1

Hello Willi, thanks for your response and directives, I am not sure what you mean (8 5/8 - 8 1/4)2 though. these seem like both the trim and bleed dimensions. Is a visual (screen shot) possible? Do pardon me, I really am not well rounded with indesign

• 5. Re: Trim,Bleed Dimensions
                  sie j Level 1

Willi, do you mean to say I insert 0.188'' for the left and right values? and 0.25'' for the top and bottom values in the bleed section?

• 6. Re: Trim,Bleed Dimensions
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I am not used to this fraction-messuring. You need to substract the bleed minus the trimm and divide by 2. I think the publisher should inform on bleed values, not on bleeded paper.

• 7. Re: Trim,Bleed Dimensions
                      sie j Level 1

Neither am I sadly, I am accustomed to being given specific bleed values which so happen to be regular similar all round values, this w and h bleed business has confused me a little. For clarity, in this case the trim dimensions are what define it being half page right? and I fit 8.25w and 5.5h in the page size section, yes?

• 8. Re: Trim,Bleed Dimensions
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

sie j wrote:

Willi, do you mean to say I insert 0.188'' for the left and right values? and 0.25'' for the top and bottom values in the bleed section?

Yes. My suspicion is that they are allowing extra bleed area left and right to allow for creep or a binding allowance on a perfect bound publication (and they would need it on both sides to accommodate a full width ad on either page).

• 9. Re: Trim,Bleed Dimensions
                          sie j Level 1

Thanks Peter, this was my first time using Adobe community, I thought it would take forever to get a response as is the case on several other forums but you guys have been most helpful