7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2016 5:57 AM by dj_paige

Renamed folder during export. Uh-oh!

carmenrmegapix Level 1

After completing edits, I began an export. Thinking I was being efficient and clever I started organizing files. I renamed a number of files, including the one I was exporting. Oops. The export stopped because the files "could not be found." I would love to tell Lightroom where to find them. The edits are now in a catalog called, "Photos That Failed to Export." Can I apply these edits to the new folder in some way?

• 1. Re: Renamed folder during export. Uh-oh!
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi carmenrmegapix ,

Please refer Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders and locate the missing files.

Once done you can import the catalog containg exported  to your current working catalog.(File>>Import from another catalog)

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Renamed folder during export. Uh-oh!
            carmenrmegapix Level 1

Oh my. I got excited thinking this was it, but the problem is not that the photos are missing. I went through the step above to "find" the photos. The problem is in keeping my edits I have already done. The edits (catalog?) do not show on the found photos in the file that I renamed. The edits only show in the catalog that is now called, "Duplicate Files" (after I found and merged the folders.) Previously, the edits were in a catalog as I mentioned above called, "Photos that failed to Export." I don't want to re-edit all those photos.

• 3. Re: Renamed folder during export. Uh-oh!
              dj_paige Level 9

If you have renamed the photos, then the link by Akash will show you how to fix the problem in Lightroom, but you will have to apply this fix one photo at a time.

Do yourself a favor and stop using your operating system to rename and move stuff around. Do your organizing in Lightroom (and instead of renaming and moving stuff around), organize using metadata.

If you have imported the photos into a NEW Lightroom catalog, then you will not see the edits. You want to use the photos in the original catalog, where Lightroom said the photo was missing. That's where you apply the fix from Akash's link.

• 4. Re: Renamed folder during export. Uh-oh!
                carmenrmegapix Level 1

The article that Akash referenced says NOT to use Lightroom to organize. It strongly says to use the operating system. I was actually re-naming in Bridge.

Anyway, when I click on the ! in the right hand top corner of one of the photos in the catalog that I want to find, I get the locate option just fine. When I locate it and click on it, I get a dialogue box that says, "The file "Aveda Catwalk-079.NEF" is associated with another photo in the catalog. Each file can only be associated with one photo. I don't get the option to reassociate it with the desired photo.

• 5. Re: Renamed folder during export. Uh-oh!
                  dj_paige Level 9

The article that Akash referenced says NOT to use Lightroom to organize. It strongly says to use the operating system. I was actually re-naming in Bridge.

It says nothing of the sort. It is referring to moving photos, not organizing. These are different. If you must move your photos to a new disk or new folder, it is safer to do so via your operating system and then apply the methods there to reconnect the photos to Lightroom. The only real reason to do so is when you need to move the photos to a new hard disk. Moving photos around on one disk, and renaming using the operating system or Bridge, is never a good idea. You seem to be moving and renaming photos for the purpose of better organization, and better organization is much better done in Lightroom using metadata.

Anyway, when I click on the ! in the right hand top corner of one of the photos in the catalog that I want to find, I get the locate option just fine. When I locate it and click on it, I get a dialogue box that says, "The file "Aveda Catwalk-079.NEF" is associated with another photo in the catalog. Each file can only be associated with one photo. I don't get the option to reassociate it with the desired photo.

So this means you have imported the photo TWICE into Lightroom, and you should never do this. You need to find the most recent import, which probably has no edits, and then delete that version from Lightroom. This leaves the version with edits, and now the option to locate missing photos (clicking on the exclamation point) will fix the problem.

• 6. Re: Renamed folder during export. Uh-oh!
                    carmenrmegapix Level 1

That was very helpful (all of the above) and God is good! Thank you, that worked. What a relief!

• 7. Re: Renamed folder during export. Uh-oh!
                      dj_paige Level 9

Yes, that is a relief! Glad it works.