4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 8:29 AM by Szalam

How can i work on these kinds of ink/trail effect?

FrosciSnowflake

HI everyone:D

So recently my class and I had an idea of making a video of us painting our campus. We are greatly influenced and inspired by this video (Coldplay - Hurts Like Heaven - YouTube) and would like to see if we can do the same effect using After Effects. I did some research and found sth like this "Midas Touch" VFX - Hand Turns Into Gold - YouTube.

I therefore would like to know how can i make similar effects using after effect? How did the artist in the second video trace the whole hand and work the gold plate out in 3D? Is it possible to make ink dripping on clean hands using AE?

Thanks so much:D

• 1. Re: How can i work on these kinds of ink/trail effect?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Midas Touch hand thing is much, much simpler than you think it is. It was just done by revealing a gold hand layer with a mask. The gold hand looks like it was created with clever use of Colorama on the same footage. No 3d at all. (I think they picked what parts of the hand would be gold in Photoshop and then motion tracked that to the shot.)

You'll need to learn things like motion tracking if your camera is moving at all. Tracking and stabilization motion workflows in After Effects

You will also need to learn about rotoscoping so that things can go between the camera and the paint: After Effects Help | Rotoscoping

Storyboards will be very important so that you make sure you get the shots you need and so that everything flows well in post.

• 2. Re: How can i work on these kinds of ink/trail effect?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is just some artwork overlaid and revealed with a simple wipe or mask:

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 6.59.59 AM.png

if you did this in AE you would use the screen blend mode, animate a mask or use a wipe from the transition effects, then pre-compose the page and the artwork and apply a page turn effect to the pre-comp.

This is nothing more than an overlay with an animated mask:

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 7.02.51 AM.png

In AE you would roto the hand to provide an edge matte for an image and the lens flair. The trick is the rotoscope and the blend modes. There may even be some displacement mapping going on. Again you would pre-compose the gold effect, set the blend mode to something like screen until you get the overlay you want, then use the roto as a mask to limit the effect to the hand.

All pretty basic compositing stuff. If you are new do some research and playing around with blend modes and look up animating masks and track mattes. Use the Search Help field in AE to find community resources for these techniques.

• 3. Re: How can i work on these kinds of ink/trail effect?
              FrosciSnowflake Level 1

Thanks all for all the pro tips!

I will start playing with the colorama effect first, meanwhile a random question concerning Mr Mercury, is there a way to make Mr Mercury effect more realistic? Cus when i tried to play with it its kinda flat, white at the same time i found that i can adjust its rotation, as if its a 3d object. Is it possible to have it sliding / tripping off the hand?

Thanks so much!!!

• 4. Re: How can i work on these kinds of ink/trail effect?
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mr. Mercury is not very 3d, but you can get it looking pretty non-flat. Could we see an example of what you've got so far so we can make suggestions?

You can try using Particular. There are some good Particular fluid tutorials out there.