6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2016 10:56 AM by Joel Cherney

Tracking error in ID CC2014

georgel5191296

Having a severe issue with tracking errors at random in InDesign CC2014. Sometimes documents will display with lines of text that seem to have lost all tracking - the text will just physically fill a line in a text box.

Examples:

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 11.50.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 11.50.30 AM.png

How those should look:

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 11.50.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 11.51.01 AM.png

Inserting the cursor on the line/paragraph and changing ANYTHING will cause it to revert to correct that instance. The rest of the document is not corrected. Also, opening the paragraph styles and making any change with preview selected will correct it - even without saving those changes in the options dialog. These will globally fix anything with the same base paragraph style.

This happens across documents, is not consistent to a single user, machine, font or file. It usually displays incorrectly at open, but there has been one instance of the file opening correctly and changing while the document was open on screen, with no edits being made.

Any insights?

• 1. Re: Tracking error in ID CC2014
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have seen this with upgraded files - as in files that were created with CS5 and then opened in CC 2014. Is that the case here? I have a script that steps through the document to make tiny changes to justification settings in order to cause all text to reflow when upgrading an INDD to a new version. But there are other causes, sometimes - imported Word docs with Asian text settings in the parastyle, for example.

• 2. Re: Tracking error in ID CC2014
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You shouldn't need a script to recompose all stories -- there's a keyboard shortcut for it (Ctrl + Alt + / on Windows)

• 3. Re: Tracking error in ID CC2014
              georgel5191296 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

Some of them were created with past versions, but all current documents are supposed to be off of new templates. I'll have to look deeper to see if they actually were.

• 4. Re: Tracking error in ID CC2014
                georgel5191296 Level 1

Thanks!

Cmd + Opt + /  works to recompose all of the stories on the Mac and seems to fix me example files.

Does anyone know the (a) root cause? What can we do to prevent this from being an issue in the first place?

• 5. Re: Tracking error in ID CC2014
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Root cause? No idea, other than increasing complexity. Not doing direct conversions from older versions seems to help since exporting .idml/.inx and opening that automatically recomposes all stories with the text engine of the version used to open the interchange file.

• 6. Re: Tracking error in ID CC2014
                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You shouldn't need a script to recompose all stories -- there's a keyboard shortcut for it (Ctrl + Alt + / on Windows)

Ha! I wrote it fourteen years ago, because I searched the InDesign help for "Diagnostic recomposition" and found nothing. (That's what we called it back in ye olde Pagemaker era, as I'm sure Peter remembers.) If I was searching the forums then, someone could have helped me with it.

Does anyone know the (a) root cause? What can we do to prevent this from being an issue in the first place?

Well, I could write a script that traversed your entire folder structure looking for INDDs, then opened them up, performed a recompose, resaved, and closed - or a script that recomposed all stories upon opening up any INDD. But as Peter suggests, I think that preventative care (exporting to IDML instead of upgrading INDD, starting new files from templates instead of recycling or repurposing old files) is the only real solution.