5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 12:24 PM by ljhbti@btinternet.com

Using two GTX 780 Poseiden GPU's on an X99 Mobo

ljhbti@btinternet.com Level 1

Hi,

I'm in the closing stages of building a PC Workstation for image creation, both still and video. I have two GTX 780 GPU's and they will be installed in/on an ASUS X99 Deluxe Motherboard. Can anyone advise if it's possible to effectively run two such GPUs under Premiere and/or AE ? I assume one for display purposes with the Monitors connected and the other for processing only ?

If this is possible, is there proprietary software out there that would allow me to create this setup ?

I assume SLI would be pointless.

Kind Regards

LJ

• 1. Re: Using two GTX 780 Poseiden GPU's on an X99 Mobo
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Yes but in independent mode not SLI. SLI is only for scaling across more than 1 GPU for drawing on the screen. GPU acceleration scaling is different. Run them in independent mode. Premiere only scales for Render/export. Realtime playback will use only 1 card. AE doesn't really use the GPU's much at all so they wont be a factor for AE.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Using two GTX 780 Poseiden GPU's on an X99 Mobo

Thanks Eric. I assume the sofware for setting up independent mode will be on the Nvidia S/w disk [if I can find it !] ?

• 3. Re: Using two GTX 780 Poseiden GPU's on an X99 Mobo
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The driver defaults to independent mode. SLI requires the SLI adapter and setting change in the Nvidia control panel.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Using two GTX 780 Poseiden GPU's on an X99 Mobo
                SLOWDOG Level 1

For what it's worth, just as you were asking this question, I was also putting two GTX 780 cards into an Asus X99 deluxe system with the I-7 5960x processor (I bookmarked this thread and just noticed again today).  The SLI issue has stayed with me though, in the sense of whether having the SLI adapter installed would be a problem, or whether Adobe Premiere CC would just ignore it and use the 780 cards independently.  I have looked at dozens of forum chains in multiple places and there does seem to be a consensus that it doesn't matter whether you are using SLI for other programs.  However, I have read a very small number of posts that say that although Premiere SHOULD ignore the SLI hookup, some issues have been noticed.  Those posters say, why risk it?  Just keep the cards unlinked physically and avoid any potential Adobe software issues with SLI software.  Since I don't play games at all, I just tossed the SLI Adapter into the parts bin.   And after months of reading non-helpful information, I am happy to not worry about this issue any more.  This thread was very helpful to me, and I just wanted to add this very small bit of information.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Using two GTX 780 Poseiden GPU's on an X99 Mobo

I know what you mean about searching the Forums and finding useless pointers and guidance out there. This Forum does seem to have some talented people on board. Not many Forums I'd be willing to say that about.