4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 4:38 AM by matthias Stoll

How can I use German keyboard shortcuts with English After Effects

rolandsigmond

Hey!

I want to use After Effects in English, but use the Germany keyboard layout for shortcuts.

Or at least how can I change the shortcuts one by one? The KeyEd script doesn't seem to work anymore.

I have Version CC 2015 13.7.2.3.

• 1. Re: How can I use German keyboard shortcuts with English After Effects
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmmmm.

You could swap the keyboard shortcut files. Either get someone with it installed in German (or install it yourself) and copy the keyboard shortcut file. Then, with AE installed in English replace the keyboard shortcut file with the new one. See if that works. If not, try keeping the file name the same, but just copying and pasting the entire contents. (Through all of this, it would be a good idea to keep a backup of the shortcuts file in case something goes awry.

• 2. Re: How can I use German keyboard shortcuts with English After Effects
            rolandsigmond Level 1

Thanks, I'll try. But I have to say it's really a pain that it's so hard to change the language.

It's incredible Adobe is incapable to add a language option feature without reinstalling the whole application every time I have to change the language for a job.

• 3. Re: How can I use German keyboard shortcuts with English After Effects
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That does sound frustrating.

Do you change the language of AE every time you do a job for someone in a different language? I'd just use my native language for the install if it were me. What advantages do you have using a different language in AE?

• 4. Re: How can I use German keyboard shortcuts with English After Effects
                matthias Stoll Level 1

The english Version is needed to be able to use animation presets / expressions generated in an english workspace. In many german companies it has become some sort of "standard" to use the english version. So, if you take over a project with expressions from somebody else, it can be a mess, too. Others are simply used to the english workspace and don't want to buy an english keyboard to be able to use the english shortkeys.

One solution might be the to use the translate expression script. It's a one-button-script and gets most of the expression/language problems solved. So you might be able to stick with your native language workspace and the shortcuts.

TranslateExpressions - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

But if you want to use the english AE version combined with german shortcuts, here is the solution for 13.8 on Mac. If you use Win, you might want to post the same workaround for Windows?

1. Install AE in German, an run once.

2. Go to -> "Voreinstellungen" -> "Allgemein" and press the Button below "Einstellungen im Finder Anzeigen". (Works this way on both Win and Mac)

3. Create an empty text file named "ae_force_english.txt" and put it in your users "Documents"-folder (~/Documents/)

(There must be a corresponding solution in Win, try google "ae_force_english win".)

4. Run again, and shut down. The Preference-folder now contains two text-files for the Shortcuts:

Adobe After Effects 13.8 Mac de_DE Tastaturbefehle.txt

Adobe After Effects 13.8 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt

(On Win it does say Win instead of Mac, but it makes no difference to the following steps.)

Make a backup of both files, especially of the german file, in case you miss ste p No 6.

5. Now change the name Adobe After Effects 13.8 Mac de_DE Tastaturbefehle.txt into Adobe After Effects 13.8 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt, thus overwriting the english file.

6. Before restarting AE make sure to protect the new "Adobe After Effects 13.8 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt"-file, because the AE_force_english will try to overwrite it every single time you boot.

In Finder that would be: cmd+i, and then select checkbox "protected/geschützt"

7. Now feel the relief, trying them all out!!!