8 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2006 2:04 PM by Newsgroup_User

OSX Xtras on a Hybrid CD-ROM

tdriley Level 1
      I have been working on a hybrid CD-ROM, which appreas to work correctly - the HFS partition is visible on OSX and the ISO partition is visible on windows, but the OSX projector says it cannot find the required extras when it is run. The file system looks like this:

HFS Partition:

projector.osx
      XTRAS
      CONTENT

ISO Partition:

autostart.inf
      projector.exe
      XTRAS
      CONTENT

The CONTENT folder is identical on each and the XTRAS folder is different for each, the HFS one containing *.data & *.rsrc xtras and the ISO one containing *.x32 xtras.

The windows projector plays fine and locates the xtras correctly. The OSX projector runs fine, but cannot find the xtras.

I'm posting this on the beginners forum because I'm coming back to director after a few years and know that it's probably some obvious mistake that I've made. I'm open to any suggestions.

A big thanks to anyone who can shed any light.

T
        • 1. Re: OSX Xtras on a Hybrid CD-ROM
          Level 7
          > the HFS one containing *.data & *.rsrc xtras

There is your problem. The .rsrc and .data files are split xtras so that
          Windows Director can build Mac projectors (at publish-time it uses these
          split files to "reconstitute" the xtras and build them into a stuffed
          projector).
          You *cannot* build a Mac projector on Windows without bundling xtras
          into the projector. Ideally you'd then extract the projector _on a Mac_
          before creating your hybrid disc
          • 2. Re: OSX Xtras on a Hybrid CD-ROM
            tdriley Level 1
            Great, that clears up what I'm doing wrong...

So what I need to do now is create a mac projector with all xtras included...

...then get on a mac and extract the xtras, put them in their own folder and then burn the disk. Hey Presto!

Thanks
            T
            • 3. Re: OSX Xtras on a Hybrid CD-ROM
              tdriley Level 1
              Great, that clears up what I'm doing wrong...

So what I need to do now is create a mac projector with all xtras included...

...then get on a mac and extract the xtras, put them in their own folder and then burn the disk. Hey Presto!

Thanks
              T
              • 4. Re: OSX Xtras on a Hybrid CD-ROM
                Level 7
                > ...then get on a mac and extract the xtras, put them in their own folder and
                > then burn the disk. Hey Presto!

No need to put them in their own separate folder on the Mac as they're
                already bundled into the projector.
                If you're dead set on building a "fast-start stub" projector for the
                Mac, using Windows for the initial publishing step, you'll need to
                create a Shockwave projector (Publish Settings... -> Projector tab ->
                Player type = Shockwave) and exclude the xtras from the projector
                (Publish Settings... -> Files tab -> check the 'Exclude all xtras' box)
                Now you can extract the projector on a Mac and create an Xtras folder
                for it. But you need the xtras and player libraries for this Xtras
                folder. You can either: install the trial version on the Mac and grab
                the files from there, or grab them from the (installed?) Shockwave
                support folder on the Mac. This step *has* to be done on a Mac though.
                If Windows touches any of those files they are corrupted (the resource
                fork is lost) - hence the need for split xtras when publishing from
                Windows for Mac.
                • 5. Re: OSX Xtras on a Hybrid CD-ROM
                  tdriley Level 1
                  Got it,

Thanks again
                  • 6. OSX Xtras on a Hybrid CD-ROM
                    ExploreLearning
                    sorry...just a quick posting to test a few things...
                    • 7. Re: OSX Xtras on a Hybrid CD-ROM
                      Level 7
                      > Do they have a forum where you can just test
                      > stuff like this? After many years of posting you would think I would know by
                      > now.

Hi Raman - you might like to try macromedia.test
                      • 8. Re: OSX Xtras on a Hybrid CD-ROM
                        Level 7
                        On Wed, 03 May 2006 19:51:33 GMT, Sean Wilson posted in
                        macromedia.director.basics:

>> Do they have a forum where you can just test
                        >> stuff like this? After many years of posting you would think I would
                        >> know by now.
                        >
                        > Hi Raman - you might like to try macromedia.test

A few days ago, they migrated the Web forum to adobe.com and apparently
                        removed Web forum access to that newsgroup. I don't know if they've put it
                        back since then.

It is still available via the news server.

--
                        Mark A. Boyd
                        Keep-On-Learnin'