5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 6:29 PM by Geoff the kiwi

copy assets in lightroom

garykenworthy

I want to copy assets in Lightroom from several folders into a single folder for video productions.  I want original photos (assets) to remain where they are.  How?

• 1. Re: copy assets in lightroom
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you would be best to make virtual copies and a collection. How would you use these in the video production - what app??

• 2. Re: copy assets in lightroom
            garykenworthy Level 1

I'm a creative cloud subscriber.  I want to use photos in various folders

along with video I recently shot.  I want to assemble all the assets I

intend to use in one folder for this production so if I ever want to edit

it in the future I can do so without having to search for assets again,

especially difficult if one or more folders has been moved.

I tried making a virtual copy but the copy can't be moved..."only the

master can be moved."

• 3. Re: copy assets in lightroom

Sorry if I was not clear... I was meaning to create a Collection for the video production and place the VC's in there.

Or just use a Collection without VC's. Collections are ideal for gathering files from different Folders in one place.

If you want to keep the originals as they are and have different edits in the production, then use VC's for the edited versions.

• 4. Re: copy assets in lightroom
                garykenworthy Level 1

I'm not sure I have a good grasp of "collections" and how they are used.  I

will try to figure it out and see what happens.  Assuming I can figure it

out, how would I import a "collection" into Premier Pro?  Not sure how that

would work.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Geoff the kiwi <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: copy assets in lightroom

Gary, have a look here and here on organisation and collections....

To get the assets into Premier I think you will need to export copies with the Lightroom edits in them.... Virtual Copies only exist in the catalog.

Develop settings on files I don't believe will be read by Premier. So you would export to disk new files with Lightroom settings baked in.. and open these with Premier. You can still track these new files in Lightroom and have them in the same collection as the VC they originated from.