5 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2006 2:21 PM by Graeme Harker

How do I start IE with no toolbars?

Graeme Harker Level 1
      Anyone know if it's possible to start IE (or Firefox) from the command so that it doesn't show the normal browser toolbars? Forward and back buttons aren't something you want users clicking on in some Flex applciations. If this is possible I could create a desktop shortcut so that a Flex application feels to the user like a locally-installed Windows app.
        • 1. Re: How do I start IE with no toolbars?
          nphelps
          You can use kiosk mode in IE by doing iexplore -k url.

See KB154780 for more info.
          • 2. Re: How do I start IE with no toolbars?
            ur_dtrain Level 1
            If you check out the DOM (here in JavaScript) you can call a function like this:

window.open('mypage.htm'', "mypagename", "directories=no,height=310,width=350,location=no,menubar=no,status=no,toolbar=no");
            • 3. Re: How do I start IE with no toolbars?
              Graeme Harker Level 1
              Thanks for the replies guys but Kiosk is not really what I'm after (as it's full screen only). JavaScript isn't an option either as I'm launching from the Start menu (or from a desktop icon shortcut)
              Perhaps I should be using the "stand-alone Flash player". Can you specify a URL on the command line to the stand-alone player (or only a SWF on the local filesystem)? If URLs are supported on the command line I could create a desktop shortcut that gets the Flex SWF from a web server and runs it in a window. From the user's point of view it'll feel like a locally installed Windows application but in fact will be doing "zero-touch deployment " under the hood. (A bit like Java Web Start perhaps?)
              • 4. Re: How do I start IE with no toolbars?
                ur_dtrain Level 1
                you can open a file in the browser (from a shortcut if you like) that has javascript code inside that launches the the new window (with no toolbars), then use the same code to close the original window. easy as cake.

window.open('mypage.htm'', "mypagename", "directories=no,height=310,width=350,location=no,menubar=no,status=no,toolbar=no");
                window.close();
                • 5. Re: How do I start IE with no toolbars?
                  Graeme Harker Level 1
                  Thanks - kinda works in IE but is still very clumsy (you see the first window come and go and IE 6SP2 complains about being window.closed) - doesn't work at all in NS - I'm gonna read Microsoft's stuff on "zero-touch" deployment of .NET apps via IE - perhaps they're using some undocumented feature of IE to do this less clumsily - this must be possible as I've seen a Swing-based 3rd party system do this seemlessly (perhaps they gave up and wrote their own browser to launch the Swing app - perhaps it's a tool in the JNLP SDK) - if there's anyone from Adobe listening you need to figure this out guys if you want to compete effectively with Avalon