4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2017 9:35 AM by joshuas91894343

Which unit uses Adobe xd for font sizes?

sero_MM Level 1

Hello,

is Adobe XD using dp, px, pt? I can´t find this information in the gui.

Is there a option to change between units now?

• 1. Re: Which unit uses Adobe xd for font sizes?
          stuart-k Adobe Employee

Hi!

XD currently uses a virtual pixel for most of its measurements (including font size), which should be the same unit of measure as a CSS pixel, or most measurements in iOS. It's roughly equal to 1 physical pixel on a 72 dpi monitor (and, incidentally, a point).

I'm afraid there's no option to change the unit currently. Which units would you find useful?

4 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Which unit uses Adobe xd for font sizes?
            sero_MM Level 1

Hello,

I work on iOS and Android Applications.
            For Android our developer wants to have the font sizes communicate in pixel, but based on a 160 dpi view which is the base size for Android.
            But I even make the test:
            Saved a view from XD as PNG. Opened it in Photoshop as a 72 dpi view. And checked the size of the fonts. Its the same I use in XD.

Cool.
            Thank you for your help.

• 3. Re: Which unit uses Adobe xd for font sizes?
              Shotscope_Designer Level 1

SO are you saying that the system XD uses is the same as point when on a 72dpi screen?

• 4. Re: Which unit uses Adobe xd for font sizes?
                joshuas91894343 Level 1

I would use PT, like Sketch does, due to diverse pixel densities across devices.  My monitor, for example, is 96 dpi.  So, for a 20px font to render the same size as a 20pt font I have to increase the font size to 27px.  But say, another person were viewing my design with a 72 dpi screen then the 27px text with would be much larger than I intended. It would render as the equivalent size of a 27pt font.

So, this becomes a huge issue in a work space where the design may be viewed or created on multiple screens with differing pixel densities.